Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Salisbury Plain Observing Group

gliderpilot

I'd like to propose our next dates for the diary - each one timed around the new moon.

Friday 16 October

Friday 13 November

Friday 18 December

The next session on Friday 16 October will be at the Red Lion, Kilmington, Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12 6RP. Jon (Astroninja) will be organsing this one as I am up in Kielder for the Star Party (brrrr!).

Clear skies,

Mark

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those dates sound good to me. Just a thought, rather than meeting up and then observing, how about the other end of the night...getting up and meeting on-site at about 0300, 0400? I say this because I often get up at these times for work and the sky is different (obviously) and the night peaceful. Its a time we often don't reach when observing because tiredness overwhelms us.

Just a thought.

David

Hi all

I am unable to reserve pub space at the Red Lion as Friday is a busy night, so may be a squeeze :D , although we only have 6 coming so far by my reckoning.

Thought we could meet from 7.30 pm onwards and be up on the hill by 8.00? I will aim to be there from 7.00.

If the pub car park is full, there is a pull in just beyond the pub at the entrance to White Sheet Lane.

To get to the top of White Sheet Hill, the lane is tarmac up to the NT car park, then it is a scalping track, which has some speed bumps (!), to the top of the hill where we will be. I was up there Friday and the track is OK, few large puddles on the top of the hill, but fine for us.

If you need my mobile number for directions etc, please PM me. If the forecast is poor, again pm me or phone for an update. I will also put a post on this thread.

As regards the 03:00 early-bird post - good idea, but I assume, by no further posts, that you may be on your own on this one :)

Think that's it - hope I have not forgotten anything :)

Jon

Hi jon, work is keeping me down south so I may be able to come after all. I'll drop you a line later in the week to confirm my plans. Fingers crossed for some clear skies. As for early starts, the noise machines sometimes get me up at this time but I often am too sleepy to observe!

Mark

I'm visiting the Red Lion next Wednesday and will arrange having the small meeting area at the pub for us. Can you PM me or post here if you are coming on the 16th please.

Thanks

Jon

(50th post - a mini milestone!)

Yeah i'll be coming mate :D clear skies i hope

Charllii isnt coming now so am demoted to designated driver lol, Please may i ask someone to help me get my gear out of the car?

Cheers!

Dave.

Weather update, There seems to be a band of cloud coming down from the north, hopefuly it will miss us!!

Observing report here: http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/89478-salisbury-plain-observing-report-16-october.html#post1304977

As the weather is forecast to be clear again, we are planning on going up on Saturday 17 October, this time to Tilshead. Meet at 1930 in the Rose and Crown, Tilshead if you wish to join us.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be coming along for the first if I'm allowed to invite myself?! No scope yet, in fact that's one of the reasons I'm keen to attend. I'd like to see what you guys use. I'm considering a reasonably priced refractor with EQ6 mount with Deep Sky Object astrophotography in mind. Will be nice to meet some astronomers f-t-f too!

Weather is looking pretty bad for Friday. May I suggest we postpone 24h as Saturday night's forecast is looking pretty good. Same time same place just on Saturday.

I am looking forward to jon's observing challenge - we'll need good skies. The Leonids are also going to be out in force as they build to maximum on 17 November.

Regards

mark

Archived