Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Broken Mount! HELP!!

TheThing

Damn!

Got all set up to image Jupiter tonight but had really difficulty getting the altitude right.

Have discovered that what looks to be a weld holding the alt. fine tune has broken. I cant see anyway of getting this bit off to get to the weld. Any ideas at all?

The mount is a Tal motorised one on a pier. There is a permanent bar on top, onto which the scope rings bolt. The alt. adjust is just under this bar.

(I'm assuming it's alt. I always get confused. When the mount/scope is level, the 'alt.' fine tune moves the scope a couple of degrees left/right).

There are no screws above or below the bar to get it off to get to the alt. fine tune control.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 2 Tal motorised mounts.

I have the bigger version. The Tal 2M.

The bigger one sometimes was known as the 4" and the smaller 3", due to the size of pillar, the head fits into.

Which is your's??

I'm guessing the smaller one, cause I've had a look at mine and don't see any welds or such.

Post pics if possible and we all will see what we can do to help.

Andy.

Just been to the loft to look out my Tal 1 mount(un-motorised version) which I think, is similar to yours.

The bit you're talking about..........is it a metal tab that protrudes beneath the mounting plate and fits between a small, strong, spring and the fine focus shaft?

If so, on mine at least, it's a part of the aluminium casting of the mounting plate and is not a weld.

I'll see if I can take and post a pic.

Andy.

Andy,

Think you're right.

Here are the photos - it is difficult to photo as you can see!

SDC11206.jpg

The mount and pillar

SDC11207.jpg

The 'dovetail' bar to which the scope attaches. the bit I'm talking about is just below the upper end.

SDC11208.jpg

The broken bit! The fine tune knob is on the left and the broken bit is between the dovetail and the plate below, pretty much like Andy's photo.

SDC11209.jpg

Bit closer.

SDC11210.jpg

From the side.

SDC11213.jpg

From the other side. The bit round metal bit is the other end of the fine control knob.

Any ideas?

Ah-ha! Should be working, but as the scope is stored in my office...

Tiny screw on the front, which I missed in the dark last night, and I've managed to prise it apart at bit.

Hopefully these photos will be a bit clearer!

SDC11214.jpg

The snapped off bit is over on the left. You can see its jagged top.

SDC11215.jpg

Clearer shot from the side.

SDC11216.jpg

This is the underside of the 'dovetail' showing where it has snapped off from. To me, it looks possibly cast as previously suggested. I'm not sure if this would be possible to weld? If so, anyone have any ideas who I can contact to sort it out or other suggestions of how to fix please?

Thanks in anticipation!

I might have this mount in my garage at home.

I will take some pictures tonight. If I have the right one. You can have it for the price of postage (if thats of interest).

I'll keep the pedestal - but the EQ head you can have.

If I forget - remind me.

Ant

Sounds like you might have a saviour !!

I'd love to know how that broke? Perhaps an inherant weekness your casting? Heard of a few fixable problems with Tal mounts, but never that particular one.

Before Ant chipped in, an option was to aquire a new top plate from someone. I don't think cast alluminium could be welded. Especially for such a small piece and under the stress of 'holding' the OTA.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy.

No idea at all!

Used it in the last clear spell we had about 6 days ago, no problems. Since then it has been stored in its usual place in my office, untouched. Took it out and it was just boken!

Can only think that I knocked it somehow lifting in or out, but certainly don't recall doing so. The office is wood anyway, so would have thought that it would have come off worse.

Only other thing I can think is if I over tightened it, but again can't recall having done that either!

Another thing, thing(just had to say that).

I reckon your mount is fixable. take a bit of doing though.

Remove the top plate. Grind/file down the broken 'tab', then carefully drill a few small holes close together, where the tab was. Open them up with a small file, til the holes turn into a slot. Then you'd need to aquire a very small piece of metal, 90 degree angle. Drill a hole in the angle and in the top plate. Thread the top plate hole, say m6 or smaller. One part of the angle piece drops through the hole to act as the new tab and the other screws to the top plate. Boosh, fixed.

Not sure if I've got the info from my brain to the page well, but perhaps you get the idea.

Not easy, but possible.

Andy.

It appears that even when operational, the amount of movement is quite small overall. Is the adjustment just for object centralising purposes then? I'm not at all familiar with that mount.

I hope Ant's mount is the same, and your problem is sorted, nice outcome.

Ron.

Sorry to see/hear of your mount problems TheThing, not sure if its

of any use to you now but in the TalScopes group in yahoo there

is a document giving instructions on stripping and improving a manual

Tal mount like the ones you get with a 100R etc. I know that you

have the motorized varient but thought it might be worth mentioning

in case you want a look.

Good luck with the replacement.

(P.S. its in the files section of the group)

Kathleen

Lulu - Sadly not. I only model OO gauge, which is 1:76 of real size. A bit too small to sit on. It started out as a layout for my little boy, but a 2.5 yrs old, he's a little tto boisterous with the trains! It's in Daddy's office now for safe keeping (and slow afternoons!)

Vinny - cheers for that. I'll try that if Ant's mount is not good (fingers crossed it will be though!)

OK been out into the garage and taken a couple of pictures....

Can't work out how to get the top part off, but I think I can see the part that is broken on yours, on mine if that makes sense. I've put a circle round the bit I think is broken on yours.

Cheers

Ant

Archived