Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Broken Mount! HELP!!

TheThing

Ant,

That's perfect. That would do the job.

There should be a small, insignificant screw on the front of the big black tube that the counter weight bar is attached to. Take the weights off first, unscrew the small screw and it lifts out.

The two bits I reall need are the 'Dovetail' bar and the plate below, which is held on by the upper knurled knob, if you're still willing?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I found the post ref the Tal problems and was fascinated to read how helpful everyone is to each other!

I'm a Tal nut too, but a refractor one..I've recently become the proud owner of a 125R refractor, 5" lens, it's my baby! I also have a 100RS OTA and a complete and original 100R complete with Tal mount and wooden tripod. All of them built to last forever and optically superb.

In case anyone's interested, (and if this is the wrong place to mention it please forgive me :D)..I have an old Tal 4.5" reflector complete on pedestal manual mount and pier and two very old style tal eyepieces and a barlow lens (although 1.25" allegedly, these eyepieces won't fit my other Tals and appear only to fit this reflector)..I got the scope with some other stuff as a bit of a job lot and will never use it. It needs a clean up (the mirror is dusty), and one of the plastic caps covering the mirror cell is cracked - NOT the mirror), but I think with a little tlc a very useable scope could come out of it, or could be used for spares. The finder is the usual high quality 6x30mm with crosshairs.

I don't need it and won't use it so if anyone has £30 to spend, first come first served it's yours.

It's heavy like all Tals, so would need to be collected ( I live in Market Bosworth in Leicestershire) or shipped at buyers' cost.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM.

thanks and clear skies for the winter:p

Dave

:D Fixed!! :)

H-U-G-E thanks to ant, the replacement piece was absolutley perfect and very generous of you to let me have it!

I know loads more about Tal mounts and 'slush' now.

Next clear night I can have a second stab at imaging now.

ant - foever in you debt mate, thank you so much.

i reckon you will struggle welding that, it's not very big and it will be horrible casting alloy, i would do as said above by andy and make a new bit. But i would do it this way; file the stub flat, make a new bit from steel (same size as the original piece) with a couple of tapped holes in it, and bolt it on.

If you get really stuck you could post me the broken off bit and I'll make the bit of steel for you one day at work.

Archived