Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium time travel

ashenlight

I did that....arent we childish :).....but stellarium screws up all of my PCs for some reason (it doesnt let you upgrade adobe shockwave player!) so it was either stellarium or youtube :o

Dave :D

PS stellarium was kicked out :)

I was pleasantly surprised Stellarium worked rather WELL on my new Samsung Notebook thingie - But then, under WinXP, and as a new, dedicated "astronomy machine" (thus far). I sense my poor old "main" PC is now "too far gone", re. sundry plugins, and other downloaded nasties, to do ANYTHING much, on a human time scale! <G> FWIW, I was a TAD disappointed by Stellarium's "time travel" concept - But then I'm not quite sure what I expected really... Perhaps a little TOO much, maybe? :o

I get about 13 frames a second out of Stellarium on my stone age laptop, and it grinds to a halt if I start messing with the planet/stars/nebula sliders. On my main PC it skips along nicely at 75fps but I've never raced ahead more than a few months. I may have to try it, thanks for the tip.

I do that too! Great fun (but then I have no life...!) Something I do occasionally is boot up Galaxy Explorer, a 3d model of several hundred galaxies, both local group and outside. I then like to for fun, with the 'starship option' head out from home at random and test myself to see if I can find my way back to the milky way and sol system, depending on what knowledge I have on what is where in the sky and the distance pointers the software gives you. Its actually surprisingly difficult!

I do that too! Great fun (but then I have no life...!) Something I do occasionally is boot up Galaxy Explorer, a 3d model of several hundred galaxies, both local group and outside. I then like to for fun, with the 'starship option' head out from home at random and test myself to see if I can find my way back to the milky way and sol system, depending on what knowledge I have on what is where in the sky and the distance pointers the software gives you. Its actually surprisingly difficult!

Great practice just in case we suddenly invent starships with warp drive in our lifetime..:o

Seriously - the program sounds great, where did you get it? :)

OK, g'wan then: What does the "simulate light speed" option do?

That seems rather promising for the astro-nerds among us! :o

Without this option, the positions of the planets are shown as they would appear if light travelled instantanously. Turning on the feature provides a little boost of accuracy at the cost of some processing time. Have a look at the moons of Jupiter and turn the option on and off to see the difference.

Archived