Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5mm EP on a 6" F10 SCT

Would have said a 5mm on a 150mm f10 was too much.

If the image is poor I fail to see why it is worth while looking at the moon? Surely you still want a good image even if the moon?

Think that there has been a marketing plot hatched where someone claimed Magnification = 2xDia in mm. So others jumped on the same advertising.

You can put a 5mm in the eyepiece aperture and "get" 300 but the detail will be blurred and unusable. Would have said the maximum you would get is with an 8 or possibly 7 mm, but conditions would have to be good even then.

I can't imagine ever using a 5mm EP on a f/10 scope except for collimating using an artificial star, or a natural star in exceptionally steady seeing. 50x per inch is just TOO MUCH for ANY target even if the optics and the seeing conditions are perfect.

Steve

Hope you are keeping well. I had a Celestron 6" SCT and if I was buying a new EP I think the 7mm Nirvana would give you good mag and a useful FOV. 214x would be good on the Moon and the planets. Useful with double stars as well. 23' arc minutes is very good for high mag EP. If you go much higher (eg 5mm) the number of times you would use it would be limited. If you going for a new EP I would opt for the Nirvana.

Hope we meet at the next star party.

Regards

Mark

if they have 40 FOV would that show you all of jupiter or saturn?

Oh yeah, the 25 degrees of a monocentric will do that even in a huge scope.

Jupiter is less than one minute of arc across, so is the long axis of Saturn's rings. At say x300 one minute of arc in the sky is 300 minutes or 5 degrees in the eyepiece. So Jupiter will fit more than 8 times across the field of a 40 degree EP ...

Unless you need to wear glasses for astigmatism, orthos have plenty of eye relief in sizes down to about 8 or 9mm which is about as short as you need on an f/10 scope. The Baader Genuine Orthos are excellent planetary EPs irrespective of price, at their upper budget price level they're a steal.

Archived