Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing projects

Andrew

Just wondered how people choose their targets for a nights viewing?

Are you working your way through the Messier objects, Herschel 400, Caldwell, whole NGC, double stars? How far have you got?

Having found a couple of hundred objects from my back garden I've decided to have a go at sketching all the Messiers. Still someway to go though - I'm less than half way there so that should keep me busy for at least another year :)

I started with Messiers, then as I got near to the end of them I began Caldwells and the RASC "best of NGC" list:

The RASC's Finest N.G.C. Objects List

I started on Herschel 400 but decided to focus instead on the "600" consisting of Herschel's own catalogues minus the "faint" and "very faint" objects. Pretty well on with that but still got lots of summer Milky Way clusters that are hard from my latitude.

Now that I've upgraded to 12-inch I have some other projects in mind from the lists here:

Adventures in Deep Space: Challenging Observing Projects for Amateur Astronomers

I've made a start on Abell galaxy clusters and want to have a go at the best Arps and Hicksons.

As a general strategy, I tend to spend a session mining a fairly small area of sky, trying to see everything in it that's worth going for. The lists provide a starting-point. I also try to view at least one Messier or similar showcase object - nice after lots of faint fuzzies.

Until relatively recently, I used to just amble around the sky and observe whatever I felt like at the time. All well and good, although not always productive, but I have decided to now do the Herschels properly. I have also started to observe whatever Hickson galaxy groups and Arps are available to my 12 inch.

Visually, i did the Messiers ages ago, and have since sketched them all using different equipment. It took me about three and a half years to visually squeeze what i could out of the 1st and 2nd Herschel 400 lists, and then i started to go after different designation lists. Was into doubles for quite a while but never got involved in measurements or anything, just did observations.

Now, i have a rolling list of about 20 DSOs in available constellations which i'd like to see/sketch/re-sketch. Why so many? If one area of the sky doesn't look too good, at least there's something to fall back on. If it's clear in all areas, i've been known to get quite giddy, lol. :)

For my first few months of regular astronomy, I've been working through just finding and viewing the DSO's in TLAO and any planets or other distractions that are around at the time. Now I'm working on recording the messier list, hopefully to compile detailed notes on as many as I can through 15x70's and of course sharing them and comparing them with other equiptment-users notes on this forum!

When I first started observing it felt like I was a kid in a sweet shop after consuming too many E Numbers....

Things have slowed down a bit now, as I usually have a list of several objects, either in starmap form, once I have found the targets I tend to stick with the same ones for a long time as to improve my observing skills. Seeing and transparency can vary from night to night - for example a glob in Saggita one night looked quite nebulous, when the following night I was able to resolve the stars to the core. Same clean EP, same scope. (yes, it was focused! :))

The rewards were tangible with the Veil Nebula. When I used to see the filament part of the Nebula, I then found the eastern part, and the smaller sections within the eastern and western parts of the Veil. Some days, as Talitha has described in an ealier post, the neb seems to glimmer with gossamer threads, other times, it looks as soft and delicate as down.

Then, when I feel the need, I'll grab a list of new objects and get going!

My printer/scanner has packed up - once I get a new one I am going to start sketching - but I am having too much fun observing!

Being an artist type, I have tried systematically going through lists, but cannot be that organised!! :) I admire those who can - because it's a fantastic way to mark your progess as you explore the night sky. :)

Personally I tend to visit objects I have heard about here, usually in the observing reports section. Plus anything that sounds interesting as I'm reading through magazines or books. If I hear that a star is going to dim because it is being eclipsed than I want to look at it. It may just look like any other star, but actually looking at it and knowing something about that particular star fills me with awe.

I have focussed on the brighter objects double stars, Messier, NGC and Planets.

I have observed over 500 doubles and my target is to get to over 1000 by the end of next year.

I used to do alot of investigating neglected doubles but most of remainng ones are in not easily visible from my location :) or require consisten sub-arcsecond skies.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

At any given time, I have a few lists to pick from for a night's observing: Herschel 400 II (need 127 more), the A.L. Planetary Nebula (40 more), Caldwell (45 more), the A.L. ARP Galaxy List (512 more). Completed the Messier list Telescope & binocular, A.L. Globular Cluster list and finally the Herschel 400 I. In addition, I like to try and bag whatever stray comet that's within reach of whatever telescope I'm using for the night.

At any given time, I have a few lists to pick from for a night's observing: Herschel 400 II (need 127 more), the A.L. Planetary Nebula (40 more), Caldwell (45 more), the A.L. ARP Galaxy List (512 more). Completed the Messier list Telescope & binocular, A.L. Globular Cluster list and finally the Herschel 400 I. In addition, I like to try and bag whatever stray comet that's within reach of whatever telescope I'm using for the night.

Wow very impressive. Are most of these found in your 16" LB? How dark are your skies? How long has it taken you?

Mick,

I started out in 2003 when I built an 8" dobson. A friend turned me on to encoders, Argo Navis & Megastar shortly thereafter. About half of my observations (3,400+ total) have been with that telescope. The balance have been with our club's 16" Lightbridge (Argo Navis/Megastar), the 31" f/7 equatorial (Megastar), binoculars and of late, my new 12" Skywatcher.

A lot of objects on those liste are beyond the 12" Skywatcher but within the realm of the 16" Lightbridge and certainly almost easy targets of the 31"

Our club's dark site is located about 12 miles south of Mansfield, Ohio. You know I've never really tried to determine how dark the site is? For the most part, it's pretty good with just a wee bit of glow in the northwest towards Mansfield. Good enough that my observing partner and I are looking forward to the Horsehead in another month. At any rate, it's decent and I can get here in about 25 minutes or so.

As for dedication, I'm in it for fun. Sometimes I'll try and work a list. Other times - well it's just good to be outside looking at stuff!!

What do you focus on? How do you like your Lightbridge?

John

Archived