Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focal length

I'm guessing it means that the lens is 75mm diameter (aperture) (lots of people still use imperial in astro, so that's about 3 inches), and the focal length (distance between the lens and where you look through it) is 1400mm (55 inches). That seems very long, is that right?

If so, then you will probably get best results looking at nice bright objects like planets (jupiter is about at the moment) and the moon.

Aha, I think I get it.

Yep, so your focal length (distance between the mirror at the bottom of the tube and essentially the top of the tube) is 750mm. 1400mm is exactly double 750mm so I'm guessing that you were supplied with a 2x 'barlow' lens. As you're probably aware the barlow lens goes into the eyepiece holder (and then the eyepiece slots into the barlow), which doubles the focal length (to 1400mm). It's a very technical way of saying that the barlow lens doubles the magnification. Your actual focal length is 750mm.

Hi,

That 'scope has a focal length of 1400mm. Are you sure the 750 doesn't come from misreading the 1 in 150 as a 7 :D

No, the instructions that come with it are very poor ... but it clearly says F=750mm & F=1400mm.

So I take it that it's f is 9.3?

Where would the 150 come from?

Hi,

That 'scope has a focal length of 1400mm. Are you sure the 750 doesn't come from misreading the 1 in 150 as a 7 :D

No, the instructions that come with it are very poor ... but it clearly says F=750mm & F=1400mm.

So I take it that it's f is 9.3?

Where would the 150 come from?

I hope they are not implying that 750 is the max magnfication you could use :D

Tasco used to do this with their 60mm refractors - "650 x 60mm" the ads used to read :)

In reality of course it's much, much lower than that ....

John

Sounds like a bit of dark matter got into the instructions to me... It is a Catadioptric Newtonian telescope. So maybe the tube length is 750mm and the effective focal length is 1400mm, meaning the mirror maybe set up the tube a bit, and the front negative doublet (transfer lens) and secondary slightly down the tube. Just a theory...

Archived