Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC6992 close up, mark 2

rich_t

I've not been able to capture more data recently so thought I'd reprocess my NGC6992. The last one was pushed to much I think and the stars seemed to take over. I seem to miss this kind of thing until I look at other people's images and then go back to my own.

The stars were shrunk a bit using the erosion filter in astro art. This was a bit aggresive so I up'd the resolution, applied the filter and reduced it back to the original resolution, anyone else do this kind of thing?

Cheers,

Rich.

post-13484-133877396809_thumb.jpg

Ooo thats pretty!

Very nice colouring and processing.

I dont use it, but noels star reducing action I think increases the size of the image, applies a shrinking filter, and then drops the image back to its original size.

For large bloaty horrible stars, you can do the reverse, drop the image down to 8 bit jpg, select the bad star, apply Photoshops "pinch" filter, and then apply the result over the top of the original layer , preferably with a mask to just alter the affected stars.

Again, this is a great pic :D

That's a very fine image indeed Rich. Lovely and smooth with a really ethereal feel to it.

Regarding star reduction, I use the minimum filter in photoshop, and usually significantly increase the image size before doing it, then drop back down afterwards.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the comments and the star reduction advice.

Baz - From -35 south it should get to around 24 degrees above the horizon I think. I can see it with the LX90 at low power and a UHC nebula filter. Remove the filter and the light polution wipes it out.

I used the goto on the LX90 to find it, it's in Cygnus near the star 52 Cygni.

Cheers,

Rich.

Baz, here in the UK it is high and easy to find, and with an OIII filter is absloutely gorgeous. I do hope you manage to get a look at this one, visually it compares to the photos with a large aperture scope.

• 1 year later...

Archived