Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deep sky imager V Toucam

Hi all,

I have noticed that alot of pictures are taken with a webam,is there much of a difference betwen the deep sky imager and a webcam.

Because i was out lastnight for about 5 hrs and i couldn't get a clear image of anything even followed the instruction.

HELP.

Cheers

Rob

Hi rob, there is no easy answer mate , we all have to start at the frustration element , i never ownd a dsi , but i can only quote the web cam , such as the Atik 2hs , a beast for the money , very sensitive , but does require filters if you want colour, this is soon to be phased out like many i guess , things move on . i have heard fairly good reports on the DSI so it must be an ok camera , just keep at it mate , go for the easy subjects first like the dumbell m27 or the ring nebula m57, you should be ABLE TO NAIL THESE , EXTRA CARE ON FOCUS most important, just keep at it , any probs just ask ,

Rog

Webcams are a lot less hassle if the orignal DSI is anything to go by Rob also i found the DSI next too useless compared to say a Toucam Pro on planets and the Moon.

Get a Toucam Pro 2 850k and a Adapter and jobs a good un! or if Deep Sky is on the Cards get a Modified Toucam to allow for LG exposures, the 2HS Rog mention's is better for this but does cost a little more.

My 1p worth.

James :D

Rob, I use a Toucam but a friend loaned me his new DSI for a couple of weeks.

I'm ashamed to say that I couldn't get on with it at all.

I think the camera is fine as proved by some of the great images you see on the net.

In my humble opinion the software is poor and lets the camera down.

Still, I'm sure that with lots of practice youll get it sorted and as I say, there's nothing

realy wrong with the camera.

Good luck with it

Just a thought, (I may be wrong), but does K3CCD now include DSI capture?

Just a thought, (I may be wrong), but does K3CCD now include DSI capture?

Yes the latest version's do Phil and if anyone has a DSI i would reccomend it as Phil says the software isnt very user friendly at all..

James

Thanks For all your help on this frustrating subject i will look into webcams but will still keep going with the DSI.

Have posted two images taken with DSI,

one on deep sky the other on planets.

Cheers

Rob

A webcam shop.

Seriously though, do you just want a webcam, as in 15 quid from Comet, or do you want a modified one?

The modifications start with a long exposure option, bigger more sensitive chip, amp. off facility for really long exposure and so on. If you know which bits you want I'm sure that somebody will know where to get exactly what you want. In the meantime, try Modern Astronomy or Astronomiser, two of the more famous suppliers and I think that they're both on here.

Captain Chaos

Even if you don't intend modding it, don't just get any webcam. There are good 'uns and bad 'uns for astro imaging. Try to get (and I'm going from memory) a Logitech 4000 or Toucam Pro II, they cost around a tenner more thean some of the other brands but they're worth it.

Trying giving this guy a call, it a fair price.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=6656

Gaz

Archived