Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question for observers

Tim

In the middle of NGC281, the Pacman nebula, there is a very tight cluster of four stars HP4121 A-D.

Is it possible to seperate and view these visually? I cna just about split them into three with a camera, but its tricky and seeing dependant.

Thanks

TJ (I dont come down here very often, it's a lot darker than im used to :D )

I have never tried Tim.

I'm sure that they are a Quadrouple star and go by the names...

Bu1 A is mag 8.58

Bu1 B is mag 9.33

Seperation 1.4

Bu1 C is mag 9.21

Bu1 D is mag 9.82

Seperation 7.8

Will try next time. The 1.4 seperation might be a bit tough.

Got it. :D The C and D components were easily seen but the E component was washed out by the moonlight. At 222x the A/B components looked circular. At 404x they elongated into an oval with the correct PA, but there was no hint of a separation. I kicked it up to stupidpower (560x) just for grins and giggles, but it didn't improve anything. The pair was still an oval and even in fleeting moments of better seeing, they never stretched out into a peanut shape.

post-13732-13387739609_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mick, i didn't know about the E component either, till it turned up in the SkyTools program. It's a mag 12.1 star with a PA of 333 degrees from the primary, separation is 16.10" (1987).

ST lists the designation as "BU 1E" (??) and also lists some alternate designations:

ADS 719E

CCDM 00528+5638E

J005248.3+563753

I have some additional info.

The last maeasurement of this pair in 2005 was 1.1. PA 80.

The 1.4 figure relates to the 1992. PA 81

This variation in measurement could well be down to the 'human' factor.

My guess is that the pair are closer to 1" in separation than 1.5" making it only splitable in the best conditions.

The other consideration is that the pair are at the sort of magnitude where in a smallish scope the cones of the eyes won't be activated and relying on the rods will make the split impossible.

I will still have a try when the seeing is steady here.

Cheers

Ian

Archived