NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD guide problems

Hi guys, don't always get this but when I do its a bind - any genuine help greatly appreciated.

I do my PA etc (HEQ5 skyscan) and then the PHD (starshoot autoguider) running on a guide star. It does the East/West alignment, does NOT do the North/South (it usually does do it), after a minute or two of this will then go green crosshairs/box and commence guiding. However after a minute or two the guide star will start to drift and even with the guide star still in the box will start to do the infamous 'orange bleeping' - and of course not be guiding.

No vibration to the mount, i've tried being as still as a cat watching a mouse, so can't be that. Any guesses/ actual knowledge?! please.

Thanks so much all - couldn't find much of a clue when I googled.

not sure with your software .....but in maxim and astroart you can disable either axis.....it could be something along those lines, or it could be a dirty connector...might be worth looking at.....also very bad backlash can have a similar effect...but you expect it the catch up after a few corrections and only work one way

Which version of PHD are you running Dean? I cant think of a reason PHD wouldnt do a N/S step. Does it completely miss that step out altogether, and just go straight to "Guiding", or is there a delay or pause in between?

you can also email Craig Stark, he is very helpful I find.

Cheers

TJ

If it's intermittent, I'd go with Peter's suggestion of a dirty connector or a slight break in one of the wires in the guide cable. Of course the down side is unless you have a spare (or know someone who has one), the only way you can check is to buy another one.

Tony..

I had an issue with my HEQ5 and PHD - I was pulse guiding with the lead that you use to update the firmware (not EQMOD).

My lead worked fine for about an hour (that particular night, it had been working fine for months) and then just stopped working.

I thought it was software related and reinstalled the celestron drivers, PHD, DMK software.

It turned out to be a lead, Roger (Celescope) was kind enough to let me have a spare one of his...

Worked a treat.

Try to get a replacment lead to start with.

HTH

Ant

Its worth having a look inside the socket soemtime the sprung wire

contacts can become "flattened" and can be coaxed back up with a needle... with everything powered down ...

If you have some IPA around put some on a cotton bud an wipe the contacts over as well...

Peter...(another one)....

Hi this is a great thread for me too. I have just started using PHD with the same mount as you and had the same problem during my last night out. My dec guide mode was off should it always be set to auto?

Thanks Dean

Yes it should be Auto. If for some reason it fails to calibrate in Dec it will turn this option to 'OFF' and will try to guide in RA only. Next time you come to use the software the option will be in the off setting. It could have been as simple as a connection problem the first time then the setting wrong there after. Even re-establishing the connection wouldn't rectify the situation until the dec guiding mode is set to 'Auto' in the software.

Regards

Kevin

PHD keeps its settings, so even if you uninstall and re-install you will still have your old settings. Generally a good thing, but sometimes you may want to start from the default settings.

To get back to defaults close PHD, run Regedit and delete this folder in the registry including all sub-keys;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StarkLabs\PHDGuiding

Then re-run PHD, close it again and it will re-create the default values in the registry for you.

Warning - Regedit can kill your system if you don't know what you're doing, so always make a backup of your registry before tinkering. I take no responsibility for your registry tinkering activities :D

I'm getting good results from the latest pre-release version which can be found here.

Cheers,

Ian

Archived