NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion zoom eyepiece

Milliways

Hi.

Was toying with the idea of getting one of those hyperion zoom eyepieces and was wandering if anyone has used them and if they are any good?

It would save a hell of a lot of money on different eyepieces if it is :)

Cheers guys!

The advice I got was that they dont work well in fast F ratio scopes. Mines an F5. The general consensus seemed to be they are a good thing to have to supplemnst an eye piece collection for grab and go use but arent a substitute for seperate eyepieces.

Of the bunch of zooms out there most people seem to like the Baader one though I think meade won the review in Sky at Night magazine.

I was thinking of getting one for my Nexstar 4 grab and go scope but most people seemed to think the views would be very poor.

Yeah i got the new sky @ night mag, the meade won the review, but i was thinking that the hyperion was pretty good as i could attrach my camera to it and it has a 2" adaptor. but at the end of the day the real question is what eyepiece would give the best views. my thinking is that i cant afford a load of decent ep's but a decent zoom ep is better than buying a bunch of Rubbish ep's hehe - well you know what i mean :)

Dave.

I once owned a Vixen Zoom - and that was really quite (English understatement) good. "Classier" than my other stuff too! But I think the general consensus is that the Hyperion Zoom is almost as good as its FIXED (Hyperion) counterparts at 8-16(?)mm. Performance falls off at longer focal lengths - or rather apparent FIELD of view decreases rapidly. For the Vixen/Teleview down to about 40 Deg. at 24mm. The Hyperion is supposedly still somewhat wider at these settings (True field equivalent to approx. a 17mm Hyperion) albeit for a Plossl sized worldview. :grin:

A useful thing to replace e.g. mid-range 8, 13 and (?)17mm Hyperions - If portability is important. :)

I have/use the Hyperion Zoom, gotta say I like it. Also got the camera adapter rings , now it gets scary ! The Zoom is a fair ol' weight, with camera and lens attached. Almost needs a scaffolding rig for support. As said it's prob's horse's for course's. Very positive click stop action and you can actually stop between clicks if careful.

Here's a size comparision to a 20mm Pl

3876988497_5d6c3cf09c_o.jpg

2" adapter is for attaching lens , you're actually still using the same size glass as for the 1.25 when viewing. As said above S @ N review covers a lot of bses wiith it. Add a Barlow and you have 4mm ( wish we had skies to use it that way a lot !!! ) , 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm .

Hiya Dave,

I used one of these zooms at Salisbury courtesy of Richard ('Jarndyce'). Seemed pretty nice, although it required refocussing between zooms which was a little annoying. Zooming in on Jupiter was pretty cool though!:)

Stef

I used a baader at Gregs place last week. I have to say that for general viewing it was a useful eyepiece. It seemd to work well with the ED80.

I would use a fixed length eyepiece if I was making a more a comprehensive observation but as I was enjoying the dark skies it was a real bonus not having to keep changing eyepieces.

Cheers

Ian

Archived