Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from a total convert...

dobserver

Hi steph, welcome to SGL :)...im 'friends' with carl, so i'll add you too :):D

Nice scope you have, too....I have a 10'' reflector, so size-wise we're pretty close!

Enjoy the forum, you'll get lots of help (and at home :grin:)

Regards,

Dave

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How I regret laughing at Carl cos it was cloudy for weeks when he got his scope! :) Do you think the clouds will go away quicker if I stand outside and blow on them?

I am so looking forward to getting to grips with 'the beast', as it has become known. Next on the shopping list is a Wixey and the 360 degree doofer Doc was sporting at the star party. Do you like my techincal terminology? Hopefully it will improve soon as I am starting the OU course on Tuesday (glad you enjoyed it Claire, you helped me make up my mind to do it):0)

I'll keep you posted on our progress..

Steph

Doc's Doofer is a great tool.

Cost about £10 to make. You do need a laptop or another device to convert RA/Dec to ALT/AZ though.

And you do need very level ground but that goes with all types of setting circles.

Once set up you have 1/4° accuracy and takes you a minute to get in the general area of the object.

Hi there Mick,,we liked your Docs doofer. Paul came across this site http://settingcircles.robertwillett.com/ and we were wondering if this will do what we need to generate the base setting circle. I presume we just put it to file on a usb stick, take it the printers and they will do the rest. Could you please let me know if you think it will do. We are also in desperate need of getting it collimated, but not sure what we are doing lol, manual says trial and error lol.

Any help much appreciated.

Carl

Hi there Mick,,we liked your Docs doofer. Paul came across this site http://settingcircles.robertwillett.com/ and we were wondering if this will do what we need to generate the base setting circle. I presume we just put it to file on a usb stick, take it the printers and they will do the rest. Could you please let me know if you think it will do. We are also in desperate need of getting it collimated, but not sure what we are doing lol, manual says trial and error lol.

Any help much appreciated.

Carl

Thats the program I used Carl. Simply impput your figures and the program works it out. As you say put on a usb stick and find a staples shop.

They can print and laminate your size circle. My circle was to big to laminate but I'm sure a 12" they can do it.

As for collimation, Steve's the man to talk to. But saying that he collimated mine with his cheshire and I then placed in my laser and it was pretty similar.

Can anyone help me out here? I keep trying to reply to posts - it takes me a while to type what I want to say, and when I click on 'post quick reply' I get logged out and my reply is lost!! Am I doing something wrong, or is there some kind of time out setting on the forum I need to alter that I can't find? It is getting frustrating....

I never use the "quick reply button" I use the "Post reply" button and never get timed out.

If it's a long post I'll copy and paste to notebook just incase something like this happens then you have a saved copy.

Either that or type quicker :)

Archived