Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where's the great red spot?

Patw#73

I have been observing Jupiter now on and off for a couple of weeks. It has always been around the same time perhaps 23.00 - 24.00 hrs.

I 've seen banding and colour but have yet to see the Great Red Spot.

I am observing from the Midlands, so what time would you expect it to come into view?

Click here for GRS predictions on the Sky and Telescope web page which gives the central meridian transit (CMT) time in U.T.

You will need to add 1 hour for BST (clock) time. It should be noted that these times are for when the spot is centrally on the disc and it can be seen before and after these times as Jupiter rotates bringing it onto, or over, the disc. The Great red Spot has not been great or red since the mid 1970's and can now best be described as the 'Noticably Salmon Pink Hollow'. Check out some of the images on the SGL for an idea what it looks like and to test the GRS calculator on Sky & Telescope.

I have yet to see the GBS or a shadow transit, although if our skies continue to have the seeing we had last night, I may be able to soon. Of course, my eyesight is carp so even things that other people can see sometimes don't appear to me.

I could see the GRS last night with my 4" refractor. It's very pale and comes and goes with the seeing as usual but its certainly still there. During the 2 hours I was observing it moved quite noticably across the disk. At the moment there is a darker area in the south equatorial belt which is just behind the GRS and it's hollow in the SEB - I found that darker area easier to pick out than the GRS itself at times.

I've found Jupiters features easier to pick out at 130x than my usual higest power of 190x.

John

By the time I got to look at it, the GRS was on the other side of the planet. However, I will keep on looking for it as the seeing was pretty good last night, so I'll be out tonight. As a matter of fact, I was observing at 133x last night.

Well, I'll have another go tonight and Wednesday, weather permitting.

Still really puzzling how I managed to miss it last night, I observed for quite a while and at a number of different mags right from x50 all the way to x222 but no sign of that spot, finally settling around x166 which seemed to give the best balance of mag and clarity.

Any way I shall keep on trying and I'll get it!

Pat, don't look for a big dark spot.. the GRS is pale, although there is a central dark spot which can be detected when the seeing is steady enough. What you want to look for is a curved 'break' in the darkness of the SEB (south equatorial belt). The GRS' northern border arches up into the SEB, and has quite the same outline as an eyebrow window. :)

I managed to get to see the GRS for the first time last night. Very pleased to get such a good view with my C6S, although I have to agree with others that it is far more beige than red.

In fact last night's viewing was excellent. The milky way was clearly visible - which isn't bad considering I live in the middle of town. Lots of meteors too.

Happy days (or should I say, nights)

:)

Thanks everyone - I've now got the information to tell me when the GRS will be there and a better idea of what I have to look for and what not to look for.

Hoping to get out towards the end of the week weather permitting.

On Monday night I was observing Jupiter when I knew the GRS should have been visible. I could not see it in my 4" refractor. However the atmosphere was very damp and I found the maximum useful magnification was x116 - usually I would be up at around x200 - so poor seeing. It's low altitude in the UK is also a hindrance. Keep trying though as you will see it eventually.

I saw it last night around 2330 BST with an 8 inch LX90 (and a few nights ago too). I agree with the other posts, difficult to spot at first but it's one of those features that once you've seen it once it seems easier the next time! From the UK the low altitude this apparition doesn't help & obviously seeing is a major factor too...

Good Luck!

tim

I think with things like planetary features, the important thing is the resolution of a larger scope, not the light gathering power. There's plenty of light on Jupiter, but I don't get the resolution with my 105mm that people do with 8" and larger scopes.

Archived