Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Handset with Sky Align

Tried out the new hand set for the 1st time last night. This handset has the new "sky align" software.

Where as the other align process involved the scope finding level and north and then slewing to the 1st

alignment star, with skyalign you simply power up the scope, using the direction buttons slew and align

with 3 stars, it doesnt matter where the scope is pointing before you start. The 1st 2 stars you choose

should have wide separation, the 3rd star allows the scope to confirm its modelling of the sky from the 1st

2 stars.

Its claimed that skyalign is much more accurate and will put the goto targets in the centre of the field of view.

So....How did it do ?.

Short answer is ......Very well

After aligning on 3 stars (you dont have to know what the stars are although the softwre in the handcontroller will tell you after the alignment process if you wish) I slew to M13 and the scope stopped slewing with the target smack bang centre of the FOV, M3 same result, every target was dead centre.

Its also claimed that tracking is improved, with the gps align, tracking would slip over time as little as 15 mins for the target to drift off centre, I picked the ring nebula as the target and through a 30mm eyepiece the subject appeared dead centre, went and put the kettle on had a cuppa, watched a bit of tele and went back out after 40 mins or so and the ring was still dead centre.

There are other features that I havnt tried yet, one is if you want to image a target thats difficult to see and cant be sure that it is in the centre of the fov you can goto the target via an aligment on a nearby star then the scope slews to the faint target putting it dead centre.

Verdict...I was pleased at the accuracy of the goto and the tracking and the easy alignment method .

I had none of the problems that I had with the faulty hand set and injoyed a few hours under what can only be descibed as a stunningly clear sky

M2

Good news its all sorted Martin.  I am quite tempted by the new handset.  I don't know about more accurate tracking. I have the old handset and targets stay on the small Atik 2HS chip without problem - 2 hours in the case of M51 the other night..  The time taken for the scope to GPS align isn't a problem cos the scopes still cooling down anyway but skyalign seems handy if there are just a few stars visible through the clouds and your're having trouble getting your bearings.  You can also use the moon and planets.  the new sets are firmware upgradeable which may be handy. 

Hopefully you can now get on and use the scope free of technical glitches.  It really is a great piece of kit

• 2 weeks later...

Archived