SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What a shock

I got when I bought a Celestron Ultima Barlow Lens

I guess I'm going to get loads of you should read the small print eta. Well looked like a good deal for $58.88 from amazon shop in the US until I got the an email with the bill.

Celestron Ultima Barlow Lens $58.88

Post and Packing $72.49

Total $131.37

International customers are responsible for payment of all Customs charges, including taxes, duties, brokerage fees or handling charges

Not a happy bunny

RD

Bit of an Ouch! there, or what?

Wonder if Astroman or the Warthog could go into business as shipping agents across the pond? It would take somebody over there to post the stuff, so they would need to make a dollar or two, then there's the actual shipping cost, then the insurance, customs and stuff, occasional bad deals, falling out over it....

Really not worth the bother I think.

That must be why the stuff costs so much over here, but the shipping cost still seems a bit lot expensive.

Captain Chaos

Post and Packing $72.49

Total $131.37

International customers are responsible for payment of all Customs charges, including taxes, duties, brokerage fees or handling charges

Not a happy bunny

Respect Mark :thumbright:

A lot of people get caught out this way but most are too embarassed to admit it on an open forum.

They'll tell the world when it works and they have saved a few quid but, when they are clobbered .... silence :|

I don't understand how the card was debited for that amount without you authorising it Mark?

The times I've been collared it's been by customs and the first thing I know is the postman at my door telling me I can't have my new toy until I give him some money.

I've ordered loads of eyepices (10+) from the USA and never been asked for extra customs money for them, it's always the more expensive items that the customs seem to come down on (cameras, mirrors etc). P&P on an eyepice from the USA is about £6, I think Amazon are levelling the "worst case" charges instead of letting you take your chancewith UK customs.

Post and Packing $72.49

Total $131.37

Not a happy bunny

Respect Mark :thumbright:

A lot of people get caught out this way but most are too embarrassed to admit it on an open forum.

They'll tell the world when it works and they have saved a few quid but, when they are clobbered .... silence :|

I would not want to see anyone else make the same mistake, I'm not afraid to admit to a mistake we all make them.

I think you missed the point GazOC the $72.49 was just for post and packing, not customs, I might still have to pay the customs on it :D

RD

$70+ dollars for post and packing on a barlow lens is disgraceful - I have brought a number of eyepieces from the US, including an Ultima 35mm and a Tele Vue 24mm Wide Angle (both as heavy if not heavier than the barlow) and the P&P costs have not exceeded $15.

I did get caught with having to pay import duties on an eyepiece once - that cost me about £8.00 on top of what I paid for the eyepiece and post and packing (about £50 in total).

It might be worth querying this P&P price with Amazon if they did not make it clear before you made the purchase.

John,

North Somerset.

Yes Mark, I'd defineatly query that amount, it's way too high. If customs do charge you they'll tax to the price of the barlow and the postage.

Have they managed to debit your card for that amount?

Here is a look at the bill

Thanks for your order, mark r davis!

Want to manage your order online?

If you need to check the status of your order or make changes, please visit our home page at Amazon.com and click on Your Account at the top of any page.

Purchasing Information:

E-mail Address: multisync@ntlworld.com

Billing Address:

mark davis

Order Grand Total: $131.37

Save $30 instantly, get up to 3% rewards and pay no annual fee with the Amazon.com Visa card and the Amazon.com Business Visa Card. Already have an Amazon.com Visa® card? Visit the Cardholder Specials page for great offers.

Order Summary:

Shipping Details: Ace Digital Club

Order #:

Shipping Method:

Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible

Subtotal of Items: $58.88

Shipping & Handling: $72.49

------

Total for this Order: $131.37

Shipping estimate for these items: May 28, 2006 - May 29, 2006

Delivery estimate: June 7, 2006 - June 18, 2006 1 "Celestron Ultima Barlow Lens"

Electronics; $58.88

Sold by:Ace Digital Club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can I get help with reviewing or changing my orders?

To learn more about managing your orders on Amazon.com, please visit our Help pages at amazon.com/help/orders/.

Please be aware that items in this order may be subject to California's Electronic Waste Recycling Act. If any items in this order are subject to that Act, the seller of that item has elected to pay any fees due on your behalf.

Please note: This e-mail message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Thanks again for shopping with us.

Amazon.com

Earth's Biggest Selection

Prefer not to receive HTML mail? Click here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.7.1/348 - Release Date: 25/05/2006

• 3 weeks later...

I buy stuff from america an a fairly regular basis and I cant understand that shipping charge!! I bought a brtand new guitar in hard case from a shop in florida and only paid $60 shipping and insurance and that was for fast delivery as well ( here within 5 days) I would definatly look closely as I noticed a few shops charge around the $50 mark for delivery to the uk (williams optics online is one)

Archived