Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've just seen somthing that I can't explain???

Around 22:25 this evening.

Covering distance faster than a plane, Orange Bright and I mean bright!

Travelling from the south east very low, gradually rising and eventually fading in the east.

I have had a look on heavens above and can see anything due...

Any ideas...

Lee.

Saturdays, just after dark, is a good time to see these lanterns. They are very popular at wedding receptions. Gave me quite a surprise when I first saw them. They can get up to a mile high and are visible for miles. They do strange movements with the air currents.

post-15108-133877391913_thumb.jpg

We saw some (I assume) Chinese Lanterns at Kelling about 3 years ago. What makes them look very UFO-like (not that I have seen one) is that they hover silently then suddenly move very rapidly when they rise into a wind current, then stop on a dime when they drop into still air again.

From a fun point of view I suppose they are great, but I'd be extremely worried about sending a live flame off into the unknown.

I have seen them act just like "alien spaceships", appearing to seperate, then reform into formation. They really show up just how swirly the air is just a couple of hundred feet up.

It seems someone somewhere south of Kelling takes great delight in releasing a load of the things during the star party, there was 25+ hurtling through the sky last year!

Archived