Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron STC owners Help please!

Hi Folks,

I've just bought a 2 year old C9.25 (my first SCT) and have a problem.

There is something dripping (looks like oil) onto the secondary mirror :) :)

Don't know how it got there, I presume that this is not normal, so It's going to have to be cleaned off.

I am open to advice here Folks as you can imagine this is spoiling my day big time!

Cheers

Ron

post-16068-133877390443_thumb.jpg

post-16068-133877390449_thumb.jpg

post-16068-133877390454_thumb.jpg

post-16068-133877390458_thumb.jpg

I would leave it alone and talk to the seller and see what they say, or have done to it.

sorry i was quick posting, if they wont help get it to a celestron dealer for servicing, i would not

worry about oil upsetting the mirror it just needs professional cleaning.

Mick.

I would leave it alone and talk to the seller and see what they say, or have done to it.

sorry i was quick posting, if they wont help get it to a celestron dealer for servicing, i would not

worry about oil upsetting the mirror it just needs professional cleaning.

Mick.

Thanks Mick,

Must admit I was worried that the oil may damage the mirror, so was thinking about taking the corrector plate off this weekend to get at the secondary and clean it.

I have cleaned the mirrors in my Dob before but was not sure about dismantling the SCT.

About £150 (ouch) to have it professionally cleaned!!

Ron

Oil ! It looks more like water, possibly from condensation, hopefully it should evaporate and not leave too much of a stain. Are you aware that when removing the corrector plate that it has to go back in the correctly aligned position from when it was removed?

I would hold fire for more advice to come in and see what others suggest.

I think if you do a search on net of how to dismantle your scope it brings up some good info, i searched for my 5" sct and found a step by step guide.

I know this might be a silly question could it be condensation? was it stored in a dampish envrionment before you had it?

Taking it apart isnt as hard as you may think,There are some good step by step guides with photos on the web. I cleaned mine after lots of soul searching and am glad i did.

Have you tried taping a few packets of sillica gell to the focuser end.

If it is just condensation that should sort it out.

Good luck

Daz:)

Oil ! It looks more like water, possibly from condensation, hopefully it should evaporate and not leave too much of a stain. Are you aware that when removing the corrector plate that it has to go back in the correctly aligned position from when it was removed?

I would hold fire for more advice to come in and see what others suggest.

It appears to be coming from the central tube that the primary mirror slides up and down on.

If I turn the OTA round it doesn't flow like water so I am pretty sure it is some form of light oil or grease possibly used to help the primary move freely.

Taking it apart isnt as hard as you may think,There are some good step by step guides with photos on the web. I cleaned mine after lots of soul searching and am glad i did.

Have you tried taping a few packets of sillica gell to the focuser end.

If it is just condensation that should sort it out.

Good luck

Daz:)

Fairly sure it's oil Daz but Just in case.

Any idea where I can get some packets of Sillical Gell from?

Ron

I have come across reports of ota's stored vertically facing down, and a drop of the baffle tube grease has dropped onto the secondary. It does soundl like this from what you describe.

alot of folks with fork mounted sct's store them this way without maybe knowing this can occur.

A year ago i took my Tak sct to Telescope House, they did an excellent job of removing the corrector, cleaning it and recollimating on the very accurate double pass collimator.

Maybe they can help.

Mike

A year ago i took my Tak sct to Telescope House, they did an excellent job of removing the corrector, cleaning it and recollimating on the very accurate double pass collimator.

Maybe they can help.

Mike

I wish I could take it to Telescope house but they are in Kent so about 170 miles from where I live:(

Hi,

i understand, i drove 210 miles each way!

i managed to arrange it so steve did it while i waited, and brought the scope back.

heres a link to my post last year

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/66905-tak-225-gets-some-tlc.html

mike

Mike,

That's one nice looking scope you've got there,

I can understand why you drove 420 miles to get it sorted.

Ron

Archived