NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Moonfish 80mm ED scopes

This must surely be remembered as the year of the short-tube-refractor.

Difficult to be sure but it looks to have the same excellent 2" diagonal as supplied with the Revelation 80 and William Optics versions :D

We have a member from the Moonfish group joined only recently... ric_capucho

C,mon Ric, what can you tell us 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the belated answer, but here's the low down...

Yes, our new 80ED is the same ED/Semi-Apo specification as 'certain other brands'. Made at the same factory, same quality, same spec, same telescope. Hmm. Cracking focuser, the mechanical build is beyond reproach, and yes, a ED lens that's up there with a Borg 80ED. Not much to fault then. We'll be selling it as an OTA, so diagonal is extra. Sorry for that, but you folks are very fussy with regards to diagonals these days, so bundling is more of a lose-lose than a win-win.

I guess with the same telescope that the differentiators between ourselves and our competitors are service and price. We'll see what we can do there. Dani and I started Moonfish simply because we were sickened by the Altantic 'price gulf', and we've worked hard to stick to that philosophy ever since. As for service, well I'll leave you lot to speak for that.

As for the year of the short tube. Well, I love that sentiment, really I do. But let's not forget that while our cousins across the Atlantic have a lot to teach we Europeans with regards to short tube refractors, what we Europeans should really sit up and take notice of is that nothing, but nothing beats on cost and performance is a short, fat dobsonian! Bit of a buggah that they're so difficult to box up and ship!

Kind Regards to All,

Ric Capucho

Moonfish Group (on duty)

hi Ric,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I agree with you on diagonal, bundle a good one and you push the price up, bundle a cheap one and you're wasting your time. Besides, anyones thats that fussy about diagonals will have a good one already!

Any news on price yet?

Gaz

... you folks are very fussy with regards to diagonals these days,

Actually, not as much as you might think. Despite a diagonal representing one third of a Catadioptrics performance (corrector lens aside) and whatever the figure is with a with a refractor - there is surprisingly little discussion about them.

what we Europeans should really sit up and take notice of is that nothing, but nothing beats on cost and performance is a short, fat dobsonian! Bit of a buggah that they're so difficult to box up and ship!

Hhmmmm,

Anything you can share with us Ric?

Anything to share with regards to Moonfish offering big, fat dobsonians? Well, just the observation that their really not shipping-friendly, being volumous, heavy and fragile. We had a long thunk about it, and then decided to go the refractor route for now. Far less likely to be returned L-shaped.

With regards to diagonals, I agree we've rarely seen any informed material on the subject, and paltry few equipment tests/comparisons. But that doesn't mean that buyers don't have specific views on the subject. Just imagine how many 2" eyepieces we've sold over the last few years, and how that often triggers the first need for a 2" diagonal, as so many telescopes come with a 1.25" diagonal as standard. Nearly every email query we've received on the subject showed that the majority of astronomers out there really do know what they want, and it would be a lottery if we tried to anticipate their disparate needs. Ergo, no bundling, so our clients can shop elsewhere, i.e. Astro-Physics, Tele Vue, shaving mirror, et al.

As a non-refractor aside, the majority of SCT owners instinctively want a 2" diagonal from the same manufacturer as their telescope, i.e. Meade with Meade, Celestron with Celestron. Is it because they're fixated on one brand? Is it because they're daft as brushes? Or is it that they want to be damned sure that the base of their diagonal has been specifically designed *not* to go 'crunch' against the base of their SCT when the whole kit 'n' kaboodle points vertically up at the zenith?

Discerning bunch, astronomers.

Ric Capucho

Moonfish Group

The new 80mm ED Apo refractors've arrived, amongst other things. Prices set at GBP 395. Shall endeavor to get Moonfish setup as site sponsors here at Stargazers Lounge so we can advertise even more shamelessly. Let me know who I have to slip the envelope under the table to.

Ric Capucho

Moonfish Group

Archived