NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary masochism....!

Kokatha man

Tonight I slipped on my deckstairs bringing the new artificial star unit down.....my feet shot forwards and I landed heavily on my back to one side just under my ribs - I'm in agony now!!!:):):rolleyes: - but as the clouds, rain and jetstream are at their most benign tonight I was determined to get an avi or two of Jupiter regardless.....I wasn't going to cop this pain without some recompense!!!

There was a constant cloud veil that made capture control extremely difficult re setting the gain/histogram.....when the odd moment of thin/almost zero cloud cover occurred the image would "burn out" so I had to set it lower to start each capture lest that happened for the odd clearish parts of each avi.....and I only processed 200 and a few for the first 2 images (one is only a different AstraImage and CS3 tweaking of the other) and the third image I managed just under 500 frames.....

But I was pleased nonetheless despite these handicaps - we're still on the outer edges of a jetstream as well and my desperation was fuelled by knowing it'll be a week at least before I'll get any sort of chance again.....the first 2 variants of the same avi show Io itself just exiting the face of Jupiter, as well as Anthony Wesley's impact scar.....South is up.....

post-16205-133877389162_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877389167_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877389172_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Any details as to what kit was used?

Hi Tony: C11 and DBK21 at 30fps with 2X barlow plus extension tube running at just under 3X on a NEQ6Pro and permanent pier - I have it underwraps in the absence of a proper obs.....I did these "quickie" processings "out in the field" with IC capture minimized onscreen in the hope that conditions would improve.....but they never did!!!!!

Will try to see if I can eke a little more out of the paltry number of frames I had to work with and also reduce saturation a little later.....:)

i am not a planetary guy (perhaps you got that from my name)

but that third picture of jupiter is comparable in my mind to one of damian peach's....

the detail is incredible.

great capture, well done

paul

Thank you very much Paul, one can only aspire....!

But I feel certain that had the night been clear of cloud veil I would've considerably improved that image: it is the best of the 3 because there were almost 500 frames to work with.....still very short of the (minimum) optimum of 900 odd that is generally required.:):D:D

unfortunately in the UK, you have to take what you get. One cant be picky about seeing.

i cant think how good it would be with better seeing and more frames. Shocking!

best of luck

paul

He-he Paul.....I think more frames would "smooth" somewhat the slightly "coarse" imho appearance of the image, as stacking does: somewhat better seeing and getting the collimation spot-on would assist razor-sharp focus and image detail/clarity as well.....but I AM well-pleased with what is essentially the second time out with this scope.....seeing etc notwithstanding!!!:):rolleyes::)

Don't know what you just did there but that's a huge improvement !!

Couple of things b.....but first I should explain that the first processings took place "en plein air" last night in excruciating pain as I waited in vain for the clouds to break for a proper avi - but they never did!!!:rolleyes::)

Because I had so few frames to work with (400 out of 4500) and even many of them I would have normally "rejected" (I had to set the "limit" at 80% of the reference frame just to get that meagre number - on a good night I'd be looking at 90% - 95%) I also pushed the wavelets sliders a bit too hard (only using #2 & #3)

Meaning I drove the Registax processing a bit too hard.....this time I was more restrained there and in AstraImage, resampled to 1.3X and then reduced to 80% in CS3 etc for a little more natural and "smooth" appearance.....as if I really had an apropriate number of decent frames to work with.....just "smoke and mirrors I guess....!:):):):eek:

Stunning image, one of the best I have seen this year. Where are you based, surely not the UK looking at the quality of the image?

regards

Peter

Hi Peter - I'm in South Oz.....I see you use a C11 too - I only purchased it very recently and this was my 2nd night out.....I really think thay are a top-notch planetary imaging scope (reason I made this upgrade choice) and once I fine-tune the collimation and get a decent seeing night (with a respectable number of frames to stack also!:)) I believe this particular instrument will really start to "sing"....!

After this year's apparition (maybe about late October) I'll initiate a new design for active peltier cooling I've come up with where I'll employ a heat-exchange radiator.....hopefully gaining a little more performance: I'll post the plans/process once I complete it; intending to follow medical practices :):rolleyes::eek: with a "non-invasive" methodology that won't require removing corrector plate etc.....:)

Archived