Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

South West Astronomy Fair - Sat 8th Aug 09

This year's South West Astronomy Fair is less than a month away!

James and I will be manning the First Light Optics stand in-between Starlight Xpress and Stargazerslounge.

SteveL, Kai, Greg and hopefully Daz and Lunator will also be there.

Come and say hi :)

Exibitors:

Astronomy_Fair_Exhibitors_Marquee_layout.jpg

The lecturers this year are:

David Bryant : Meteorites & Extinctions

david_bryant.jpg

Greg Parker : Deep-Sky Imaging from the New Forest Observatory

greg_parker.jpg

Heather Couper & Nigel Henbest : Cosmic Quest, a History of Astronomy

heather_cooper_nigel_henbest.jpg

Will Gater : The Cosmic Keyhole

will_gater.jpg

The event takes place on Saturday, 8th August, from 9 am to 6 pm at the Norman Lockyer Observatory above Sidmouth in Devon.

Planetarium presentations and telescope dome tours will also take place throughout the day and refreshments are available.

Entry to the fair is £5 per adult and £2.50 for children under 18. Lectures are £4 each per person. There are two in the morning and two in the afternoon.

For further details please see the official website HERE

• 2 weeks later...

At last something has fallen right for me.

We're in Torquay for the preceeding week and leave the cottage we're staying at on the 8th. The missus has agreed that we can do the day at the fair and stay at our caravan in Somerset on the Saturday night. So I get to go to some sort of astro event at last. Yay! :):hello2::):hello2::rolleyes:

Sorry for the multiple post but I just noticed on the website it says "book now". Is it necessary if we're just visiting the fair (no way I'd get a 7 and a 9 yr old to sit through a lecture)

You can simply turn up on the day :)

I think they suggest buying lecture tickets in advance as they do tend to sell out quite quickly.

Thanks Steve, that's good for me then - my son can't even manage to sit through a DVD he really enjoys, such is his attention span, so no lectures here!

Only 24-hours away and everything is coming together nicely, even the weather forecast is good :)

This year FLO's stand is twice the size!

James and myself will be there of course but we will also have SteveR (Kai), SteveL, Greg and hopefully Ian (Lunator) joining us for the day.

Though we will have plenty of kit on display we are treating the occasion mostly as a social event where we can meet customers and members and as a way of saying thank-you to the Norman Lockyer Observatory (I'm a member) for their support.

We thoroughly enjoy ourselves at the SWAF. It is a great location with several working domes, planetarium shows, excellent lectures and good company.

Hope to see you there :)

Archived