Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I want to see Saturn through a telescope

gary edwards

I would dearly like to see the planet Saturn through a telescope. I don't actually own a telescope and wouldn't have a clue as to how to find Saturn even if I did. I don't want to buy a telescope as this is just a one off. How can I go about this? Would anybody let me look through their telescope or can I pay someone to view through their telescope. I'm in the UK and don't mind travelling.

Any help appreciated

Saturn has just gone into hiding behind the Sun and will not be observable again until about December, when it will be visible low in the east just before dawn. It will be quite well placed by the end of January, still as a morning object. Sorry but you will have to wait until March to see it well much before midnight .... that's just the way the orbits work.

Hi and welcome to SGL, Gary. :)

As Brian said, Saturn's not a prime target just now, but you might want to join a local astronomy club and attend their local meets or maybe a star party when the time's right. Amateurs are the most helpful and generous people on the planet and trust me, anyone would love to be 'the' one to show an interested newbie their first view of Saturn.. i know i would. :)

(Sorry, i'm over 4000 miles away and don't know which club is closest to you, but i'm sure someone will recommend one.)

I would dearly like to see the planet Saturn through a telescope. I don't actually own a telescope and wouldn't have a clue as to how to find Saturn even if I did. I don't want to buy a telescope as this is just a one off. How can I go about this? Would anybody let me look through their telescope or can I pay someone to view through their telescope. I'm in the UK and don't mind travelling.

Any help appreciated

Saturn has just gone into hiding behind the Sun and will not be observable again until about December, when it will be visible low in the east just before dawn. It will be quite well placed by the end of January, still as a morning object. Sorry but you will have to wait until March to see it well much before midnight .... that's just the way the orbits work.

Welcome to SGL...

Gary, Im sure if you go to a star party or observing event some time next year, people will let you look at saturn for FREE!!! :)...as Brian said, Saturn will be hiding 'till next year....Jupiter is around though, as an EXTREMELY bright 'star' in the S-E sky around midnight....

Regards,

David

Have a look out for astronomy clubs in your area and go along and I'm sure people will let you look through as many scopes as they have on the night.

Btw where are you?

Garay, whereabouts are you roughly. There are plenty of clubs with observatories available who would be only to happy to let you have a look for free.

If you let us know whereabouts you are I am sure someone can either suggest a local observatory or let you take a look through their scope.

Hi Gary' first of all welcome to the forum.Like what one of the members just wrote try and find out where your local astronomy club is they will help you along with telescopes and what is in the night sky.The best way to learn about the night sky is with a pair of binoculars' a sky atlas to learn the constellations.This is a great site to help you with astronomy, Good Luck.Mark

Hi gary and welcome,jupiter is the best bet at the moment and can be seen with binoculars,probably the best way to learn the night sky is with bins and get turn left at orion and stellarium which is free to download,just enter the time /date /location etc, and as many have mentioned join a club,its safer in numbers so take a browse at local astronomy groups on the web they will be more than happy to help.regards ron.s.g

Archived