NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Freeezing.

Theninjagecko

Cold - where are you?

Warmth is the enemy of astro imagers, the noise is CCD chips doubles with every 7C increase in temperature. So if it's -5C instead of 10C you get about a quarter the noise. A very useful performance boost .... Cope with the cold by wearing adequate clothing.

Personally I found a thin cotton shirt & summer weight trousers completely adequate last night in all respects except keeping the midges off my skin.

Good shots!

You have a nice set of images, but the focus seems a bit hit and miss, or its my tired eyes not recovered from last night yet?!

Have you tried a Bahtinov mask for focussing? Nails it every time, quick and easy :)

Good shots!

You have a nice set of images, but the focus seems a bit hit and miss, or its my tired eyes not recovered from last night yet?!

Have you tried a Bahtinov mask for focussing? Nails it every time, quick and easy :)

Just a reminder ... need to focus on a star then come back to the moon when using the masks - they dont work on "extended" objects...

Peter...

Glue to a bit of card and get a very sharp craft knife to carefully cut it out.

Just make sure you have some excess card around the mask which you can use to attach it to the scope.

got any images if yours? How do i use it ?

Those are good pics. With a bit of software magickery they could be even better I feel, I really like that up close crater shot.

As for the bahtinov masks, I recommend looking at this ebay shop.

eBay My World - im-a-geekasaurus-and-i-dont-care

I got one of his masks for my SCT, and can vouch for the quality. (I have no connection with the seller)

Every time I have tried with the mask either mounted to the front of the tube, or to the front of the dewshield, the focus has been the same, which makes it easy to check focus as the temperature drops through the night. The bahtinovs really are a godsend.

Cold! LOL

Looks fine to me mate.

Mine is flimsy as hell, but it works!

Just make sure you focus on a star first, this will not work directly on the moon.

Look forward to your next images, and hopefully a report on the mask :)

Archived