Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

newbie from Canada!

aw3s0me

From Toronto here.. I just started to stargaze with the naked eye a few times north of Toronto and I am planning a trip to a dark sky reserve in a week (only 2 hours north of where I am).

Now I originally planned to do this with the naked eye as well but after a little bit of research I was thinking of going a bit further but needed some help:

1) I've seen some good imaging here, I happen to have a dSLR Olympus E510 Olympus E-510 EVOLT Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Is it possible to capture some decent images with this camera? If so, what settings would I have to use? Also what can I possibly capture with this camera?

Also if it can capture stars, or other planets- how would I find specific ones without a telescope?

Do I have to be at a place without much light pollution or do I have to be at a place such as the dark sky reserve? (same Q goes for the telescope).

2) I am running on a tight budget but I am thinking of investing in a telescope.. can anyone suggest some with good value? I looked around and there are an overwhelming number of options and I can't tell the differences.

I don't think I'll buy a telescope too soon, probably will get a pair of binoculars first.

3) I downloaded a skyatlas, is it easy to locate all of the constellations? If one is in the east, do I literally just look east? How can I pinpoint certain positions?

Anyways thanks for all the help in advance.. I know my first trip to the dark sky reserve will be a good one even if its done with just the naked eye.

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Best advice is to learn the sky with a pair of binoculars first. I wouldn't even think about imaging just yet.

Get yourself a pair of good quality 10x50 bins and with the aid of your skyatlas try and find the constellations and major stars first. From a dark site even a few deep space objects will be seen with a pair of 10x50's.

After you are happy with star hopping and have a good idea of finding your way around then think about buying a scope.

Hi and welcome,just get some bins and look at the skies and compare with the star map,you will start to match the sky with the map and it will get easier,dont rush into buying as when its time you will get good advice from the forum members,when ready just ask away and check the tutorial and primers,regards ron.s.g,ps have you downloaded stellarium it may help in sky mapping.

Hi, and welcome to SGL. :) Light pollution will dictate how many constellations you'll see, and how well you'll see them. As far as facing east.. yes, that's how you do it as long as the program you're using is set to 'live time' and also a 'horizon' view. TBH though, you'll learn the sky quicker by just going out every chance you get, and take three things with you.. 1) a red flashlight, 2) a planisphere (star wheel), and 3) a very wide angle star chart book like Bright Star Atlas 2000.

Nothing beats on-the-job-training, IMO. :)

Remember too, that the viewable constellations vary throughout the year because of our orbit around the Sun. For example, the winter constellations are up in the summertime too, but daylight prevents us from seeing them. If you stay out long enough, you'll actually see constellations from the upcoming season rise. In fact, Cassiopeia's already leading the Autumn constellations in the NE.

Remember too, that when things rise in the east, they're lying on their side. They only look 'upright' when culminating (reaching their highest elevation for the night). When setting in the west, they'll be lying on the opposite side. Just imagine a giant wind-shield wiper rooted due south.. when it's straight up, that's when you'll see the constellation upright. Otherwise it's favoring one side or the other. :headbang:

Welcome to SGL :) already had some fantastic advice on here - I'd side with alot of people and recommend you really learn the night sky before you think about imaging etc. As Carol said, a red flash light and a star map is the best way to start. Whatever you decide to do, you can guarantee there'll be plenty of people available to help at SGL :)

Archived