Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Scope?

Been looking at possibly getting another scope for the winter season.

I'm wanting more aperture than my present scope to give higher resolution and more light

I'm hooked on Russian optical quality and value - hence the current TAL100RS.

I got the OVL catalogue with the TAL and I've been looking at the TAL200K.

This is an F10 8 ins ( 200mm) Klevsov Cassegrain OTA inc 2 EP's, barlow, diagonal and 8x50 finder

A new one will be about £650 but I may have the chance of buying one S/H.

Looking on the Cloudy Nights site it gets very good reviews, the primary mirror is apparently 1/10 wave. If true this should be excellent.

It has an external focuser, so no primary mirror focussing/shift like my small Mak.

No front corrector plate - cool down is fast

Does anyone know anything about the TAL200K?

I'd be grateful for any comments.

I intend to keep the 100RS to use with the 2 ins 30mm moonfish EP, as the TAL200K will only take 1 1/4 ins.

Cheers

MD

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi MD,

Greg (Phattire) and I are currently testing a TAL 200K.

It is looking good so far; it has given me my first view of texture between two of Jupiter's weather bands :D

Contrast is surprisingly good and the finder-scope is fantastic.

Will post more as things progress..

Steve

I look forward with interest to the review by both of you.

It is apparently very well sorted optically both on and off axis, with very little coma.

Reviewer's talk about a 'huge bright image' - I like the sound of that!

Cheers

MD

Funny you should mention this scope. I've had my eye on this one for some time!. The reviews I read (a while ago) said it did quite well. I seem to remeber the comment of 'slight yellow tint to image' poping up, this being a trate of the TAL series. That has not put me off a possilble upgrade later though.

Rob

:D

Rob

For a cassegrain it's lot of aperture for the money.

Not heard about the yellow tint. This could apply to the reflector TAL's perhaps?

I've not seen any yellow casts in the two TAL refractors I've owned.

MD

Found this http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=832

Basically it doesn't get a very good report, the deal breaker for me was that the guy couldn't get an SLR to achieve focus so that's no good.

The comparisons with an Intes Mak. seemed a little unfair as there is a fairly large discrepancy in the price of the two 'scopes.

I hope that Steve and Greg get round to a review soon as it could still be on the cards as some dude down south says he's interested in the OMC140 (thanks Gordon).

I had thought about advertising it here, but I'm not decided as to whether or not I could trade up without signficant expense, but if anybody's desperate for it PM me.

Captain Chaos

... the deal breaker for me was that the guy couldn't get an SLR to achieve focus so that's no good.

Speaks a true imager :D

So far, I like it. The reviews I have read either heap praise on it or damn it. Personally, I suspect it is the unsung hero that, if it weren't so unusual, would be more widely accepted and recognised.

The Tal we are testing is available secondhand thru my work. Greg was/is interested in buying it but is still undecided. Weather permitting, we shall be observing again next Wednesday and will give it a good trial.

A DSLR will ALWAYS work with a scope if you use an eyepiece adapter, either 2" or 1.25". Theres no scope that accepts eyepieces that wont accept a DSLR so dont let that put you off. I have a 2" adapter for my DSLR and it just fits into the focuser like a 2" eyepiece. Members of my astro club have a similar 1.25" adapter also.

Whilst it is true that an SLR can be fitted to any scope, success depends on whether the focuser can rack in enough to position the film-plane (position of the film/imager in the camera) at the telescopes focal-point (the point of the light cone).

It would be rather a shame though, to trade up from the OMC which can get focus with DSLR, DSLR + Barlow and DSLR + 0.5x FR to something that cannot (like my Newt. for example). The main gripe with it, I think, is the short focusser travel. As it's a rack and pinion there is no multiplying effect like with the Mak. (the back mirror moves so the light path is doubly shortened or lengthened for a given focusser movement) and the issue appears to be a lack of inward travel. Outward travel can be got around by using extension tubes / diagonals but you can't go further in than fully in.

Cutting the tube down is a touch drastic for me.

Captain Chaos

ps Also found this http://www.buyrussia.net/optics/scp134.html

• 4 weeks later...

Ok....

Here's my 2p worth....

It's a beautifully engineered scope, well made and the finderscope knocks the socks of anything else out there.

It's heavy, very heavy..So heavy infact that you have to be a bit careful putting it on the mount :shock: believe me i'm no light weight :shock: :shock:

The focuser on the one we tried was a little rough and jerky...It could be stripped and a Phatts conversion applied!!

Took a while to cool down, longer than my 8" Newt..

I was dissapointed with the narrow field of view...2000mm F10, although you can use eyepieces of half the focal length to achieve high magnifications. :)

Perhaps I was expecting more, dunno....I decided against it..

I'm waiting to have a look through a Skymax 150 Pro....Hint .....Hint!! Or i'll wait a while and get a big APO.

2p......You'll be wanting change then!

This is by no means a proper review..Just some quick points...You have to look through these things and make up your own mind!

Anyone found my cloakroom ticket.

Greg

Archived