Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Scope?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, sorry, it has sold.

Though neither Greg or I had it long enough for a full test, what I did see was good.

Sharp, good contrast (Actually saw hints of texture in Jupiter's weather bands) and very well built. Yes, the R&P focuser was basic but at least there was no mirror-shift and, like Greg says, it would respond well to a strip/relube.

Greg's only real criticism came from its long focal length but that is the norm with all catadioptrics. I like long focal length as it allows you to use longer focal length eyepieces which are easy and comfortable to see thru.

All things considered, I like it and suspect that if it were marketed by either Meade or Celestron it would receive much greater recognition - I probably ought to have bought it :roll:

Well I probably might get one.

I'm fully quandried up now because Jupiter isn't playing with the seeing, the moon has migrated into the boiling horizon area and the DSO things don't play out until when I ought to be in bed asleep. When the dark comes back it looks like (from Starry Night) the imageable planets will be gone for a while.

Captain Chaos

Just a quick word of advice for all the people thinking of getting a new scope.

Get it now so that by the time the winter comes you will be able to spend the time doing

the astronomy bit rather than the learning to use the new scope bit.

Thanks for the comments Greg & Steve.

Like you Steve I don't mind the long focal length. I was after all wanting a planetary / moon scope.

Russian scopes usually have excellent optics but the rest can sometimes be a bit hit and miss. Still a quick strip down and buff up with an oily rag could help matters.

I'm told the scope doesn't usually need collimating, but if it ever does it's a burger to fix! On the plus side it seems almost impervious to dewing - whatever the temperature. Useful on the many nights when scopes dew-up.

Like CC I'm tempted, and it would be fine on an HEQ5 mount.

Decisions, decisions.........

Jamie - that's just why I'm looking now!

MD

I just prefer a bright image......

Can't fault the build of the thing - I think TAL has made them from melted down tanks!

I would put it on a better mount than an EQ5 that it comes with - must be near enough at the limit for that mount. :shock:

Though neither Greg or I had it long enough for a full test, what I did see was good.

I had it out a few nights later, Steve....Left it out to cool down from about 5pm....The view was a little better...But too narrow a field of view for me...

Personal preference really...It is a nice well made scope, with a superb finder.. And it comes in a nice box..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived