Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi

akaur

Hi Guys:hello2:

Im Atma and Im from Windsor

Im currently doing an astrophysics degree

and im just about to purchase a telescope.

I just wanted some help

is the celestron AstroMaster 130EQ-MD (Motor Drive) telescope a good one for beginners?

Hi Atma and welcome,

i'm sure you will get some good advice from the folks on here who have the same equipement you are asking about,

also some very good advice on what else is available to you for the same amount.

regards ron.s.g

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Take alook at First Light optics see the banner above they have a great range of scopes.

Are you sure you want a EQ Mount as dobs can be bought pretty cheap and have superior aperture.

Welcome, ATMA!

I would rethink your choice of scope.

Although adequate for a beginner, I feel you will soon get frustrated with it due to to your choice of study.

Motor drive is a nice touch for a beginner from a sales point of view but NOT vital!

Spend the cash on a decent mount and go for a refractor 3 1/2 to 4 3/4 depending on funds! They are fantastic and easy to set up.

Motor drives can always be added later if needed.

Check the for sale section on this site and you will see some nice kit.

Reflectors, like refractors, the bigger the better!

Although cheaper by size, they really are not setup friendly for the beginner at decent mirror size.

I am also a novice and much prefer the simplicity of a decent refractor.

Spend the money on a decent mount and tripod and build from there!

I had a fiddle with the Celestron 130EQ some time ago. I have to be honest I didn't like it. The mount was rather wobbly, it was quite plasticky and the collimation was a nightmare thanks to its rather odd secondary mirror holder.

Compared to the equivalent Sky-Watcher product (SkyWatcher 130 PM) I thought from a design perspective it was inferior. The views would probably be more or less the same. I didnt get to use the 130 for viewing with - my task was to collimate it.

As a beginners scope its not without merit but the quality of construction just didnt 'feel' as good as the Sky-Watcher 130.

I'd also say a motor is worth having - on an entry level scope the mount is unlikley to be brilliant and if your constantly having to track and focus and wait for the vibrations to settle down you'll spend most of your time twiddling things and then waiting for the view to settle - usually just in time for an object to move out of the field of view. A motor will make life a bit easier to observe with. Thats all assuming you go with an EQ type mount.

Archived