Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hubble Telescope - what will they do with it ?

albedo0.39

We've all heard that the Hubble Space Telescope is now heading towards the end of it's life. So, I couldn't help thinking what they might do with it when it finally "stops".:)

Options ?

Leave it :)

Crash it ;)

Bring it down to earth and re-use :headbang:

Bring it down and put it on display somewhere (Kennedy ?) :)

??

What do you think they should do with it and what do you think they will do with it ?

Perhaps we at SGL could all have a whip round for a group buy and install it at Kelling ? :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think they'll crash it rather than leave it up there but I think its

been a great asset to space research so would love it if they brought it down in the shuttle and put it into a museum for people to go see it.

I think that they'll crash it but I very very much want to see it on Earth. If they put it down and install it in musuem, I am definitely buying a ticket to that place to make a photo with Hubble. :)

By the way did anyone see Hubble photos since the last upgrade? When they were on the mission, CNN told that it will be a brand new scope after the upgrade is done. Why aren't different news sites full of new stunning photos? :)

I think they'll crash it or move it. It would be cheaper (and safer) to build a replica to show in the NASA museum than to send up a Shuttle to go and get it.

I'm sure the intention is to attach a robot craft with a retro rocket to steer it into a controlled re-entry over the ocean. Most should burn up but a few heavier bits like the mirror will probably make it to ground (sea) level, though not in a recognisable let alone a useful state. Don't want any bits landing on populated areas and it's daft to "park" it in a higher orbit where it would be a danger to everything else, fragmentation from an impact with other expired spacecraft & debris would be the major risk.

No chance of retrieving it using the Shuttle as the remaining Shuttle flights aren't going anywhere but the ISS and Hubble will hopefully be working for several years after the last Shuttle is retired.

How long has it got now, since the recent equipment updates were carried out? It must have another 5 years or so of useful science.

It would be sad to destroy it, but to leave it, or boost it's orbit height would mean it stayed a piece of space junk. Returning it to earth would not be a cost effective operation, unless some eccentric billionaire bankrolls the rescue. I would guess at a guided re-entry and burn up, much as it grieves me to say it.

Ron.:)

IIRC its to heavy for the shuttle to brign back to earth... The shuttle can take off with heavier payloads than its designed to land with...

The plan as it stands bring it down and make sure it lands in the pacific... They have attached the ring that the "booster" will attach to during the last service mission... Peopel are callign for it to be boosted into a much higher orbit as a "relic" ...

Peter...

IIRC its to heavy for the shuttle to brign back to earth... The shuttle can take off with heavier payloads than its designed to land with...

Hmmm, my recollection is that the design spec called for delivery & retrieval of 20 ton payloads - insisted on by the military, and the reason for the compromised "piggy back" design which has cost the lives of two crews.

Same thing as Spacelab and MIR, i imagine.

Know what? If my lappy lets me (acting up today) i'm going to move this thread from 'Observing - Deep Sky' over to the Astro Lounge. I'm sure there's members who'd like to chime in but don't frequent this forum. Wish me luck, lol. :)

i'm going to move this thread from 'Observing - Deep Sky' over to the Astro Lounge

That'd be my fault - still new to SGL and often wonder where these sorts of subjects should live. Sorry 'bout that.

Coming to the OP, to simply push it into a higher orbit would be the biggest tease of the century. After all, just because they don't want it doesn't mean others couldn't use it.:)

Amanda is right.

The higher orbit thingy is the way to go.

And let us plebs use it.

(Also, they should attach a projector to it, so it can project adverts onto noctilucent clouds. Mainly for Mac and Clarins. That would make a mint.) :)

Prior to the Columbia accident, NASA apparently had plans for a retrieval mission using a shuttle in the 2010-2012 time frame. Those plans were shelved in 2004 on the grounds of risk.

I can't remember the source, but I think that it would have been Columbia's final mission before retirement if it wasn't for the accident.

I expect it will end its days by being scattered over a stretch of the pacific. Not a very fitting end but probably the safest.

By the way did anyone see Hubble photos since the last upgrade? When they were on the mission, CNN told that it will be a brand new scope after the upgrade is done. Why aren't different news sites full of new stunning photos?

I think that they need several months to calibrate the new instruments before resuming operations.

gareth

Amanda is right.

The higher orbit thingy is the way to go.

And let us plebs use it.

(Also, they should attach a projector to it, so it can project adverts onto noctilucent clouds. Mainly for Mac and Clarins. That would make a mint.) :headbang:

Perhaps the best post I have seen all day :) I think also Guylian chocolates and Estee Lauder make up.

Archived