Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 300 reflector advise needed.

I have and SW ED80 Pro III and a SW ED120 Pro Diamond Black on a EQ6 Pro mount and love them.

But after a reflector and like the quality of SW and so have been looking at the following.

Sky-Watcher Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-300P (NEQ6) Pro Newtonian Reflector

Looking at getting the tube only.

Yes, going large again, but will only end up selling a smaller one to get this som may as well get this one to start.

What are your views on this tube, good and bad.

Baring in mind, this will be my 1st reflector and will be used for DSO imaging.

Many thanks

Cat

The 200p is reviewed in Sky and Telescope this week and wins the group test. The 300p is just a larger version of the 200p so the equipment will not change.

I have the 200p and have looked through a 300p. Could not really tell the difference if I was honest but the 300p is a monster to move.

That is one big scope, a real light bucket, but make sure you are happy with the size. Consider the 250mm, that would complement what you have already very nicely ie about 4x the light gathering of the 120ED. Then you could get a 14 or 16" Dob!

Thats my plan!

One thing you may want to take into account that it's not the size of the scope that's the biggest factor for imaging. Focal ratio and focal length are more important. Even for visual, that's one big scope to setup and tear down every night.

Tony..

I know of nobody that images with a 12" plain Newtonian. You should ask yourself why that is (it's more fun to find out for yourself). Also, the EQ6 will not take the 300P without modification (turning it into an NEQ6).

If you want to observe with the big guys, get a 16" Dobsonian. at least, maybe a 20". They cost real money, of course. Orion Optics have introduced a 500mm model for just under £6000.

If you want to image, get a big APO refractor (100mm or more) or a catadioptric (Celestron C11?). And figure on spending £1000-£2000 just for a CCD camera (before filters, field flatteners, filter wheels and all the gubbins).

I know of nobody that images with a 12" plain Newtonian. You should ask yourself why that is (it's more fun to find out for yourself). Also, the EQ6 will not take the 300P without modification (turning it into an NEQ6).

If you want to observe with the big guys, get a 16" Dobsonian. at least, maybe a 20". They cost real money, of course. Orion Optics have introduced a 500mm model for just under £6000.

If you want to image, get a big APO refractor (100mm or more) or a catadioptric (Celestron C11?). And figure on spending £1000-£2000 just for a CCD camera (before filters, field flatteners, filter wheels and all the gubbins).

oh sorry the mount I have is a NEQ6 i think.

I am really into the imaging, the ED's can be used for observing and the like. I have a ed80 and 120

Thanks all for the advise. WIll go along to OpticStar in Manchester and have a look at one.

Your sig says EQ6, it's extremely unlikely that you have the NEQ6.

The ED80 is a great imaging and guiding scope, the ED120 even better. I don't think you should be thinking of bigger scopes for imaging at the moment. Imaging is all about control of the aberrations over the entire imaging sensor and accuracy of tracking, together with a reasonably "fast" focal ratio.

Your sig says EQ6, it's extremely unlikely that you have the NEQ6.

The ED80 is a great imaging and guiding scope, the ED120 even better. I don't think you should be thinking of bigger scopes for imaging at the moment. Imaging is all about control of the aberrations over the entire imaging sensor and accuracy of tracking, together with a reasonably "fast" focal ratio.

ah, i have the mount the 300mm is on in the original link that was posted. Cost me around £800+

The general rule of thumb in regard to mounts for imaging is halve the rated payload. The rated payload for the EQ6 is 25kg, so halved is 12.5 for imaging. Not sure what the 300's weight is but it's no lightweight.

If all you're interested in is imaging, then stick with what you've got. I've also got a twin refractor setup and it does the job nicely. If you want a big scope for visual, get a dob :).

Tony..

• 5 years later...

I image with an azeq6 and sw300p

It's an amazing light bucket. I have been using it for nearly 2 years building it and breaking it down every clear night. It is fantastic to use but be sure you can handle the size and weight.

Mike

Hello Mike, where did you source scope rings for that? I have a Dob 300P and an EQ6 and have been thinking about putting the tube on the equatorial mount but was always afraid it wouldn't work well. 

Archived