Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Object list indexed by constellation ideas here

Doc

What do you guys think off the Object by constellation index I'm doing.

Is it easy to read?

If you want anything adding just put it here and I'll add it with a little note as well about the object.

Trying to make it the best source but easy to read and digest.

Yes Mick, I think it is easy to read. Seperating objects into categories for each constellation, such as 'galaxies' 'binary stars' etc makes it easier to navigate. I think it will be a valuable observing aid for beginners, and probably more seasoned astronomers alike. I particularly the chunks of information you have given to the objects - type of galaxy it is, etc.

There's a healthy amount of detail in there, without it becoming inaccessible.

I particularly like you stating the seperation of objects, like "Beta1 and beta2 form an extraordinary binary: gold and blue (or perhaps yellow and blue-green). The component is quite wide, making it a popular object for binoculars. AB: 3.1, 5.1; PA 54 degrees, separation 34.3"." ... at first I found it a little confusing, but it is encouraging me to think more in depth about this kind of thing. Will definitely help beginners develop into more skilled amateurs :)

Coma Berenices looks very inviting now I've seen your list:D

Only just found this - excellent work! A really valuable resource!

Hydra and Virgo are missing.

Plus several other more southerly constellations which have objects of interest - e.g. Scorpius, Eridanus, Cetus, Lepus, Sculptor. Maybe you have plans to add these to the set in due course. Or are they too far south? Which raises the question, how far south are you prepared to go in your guide? Speaking for myself, I would like it to go down to decl. -30° but I admit that's a bit unfair on our friends further North!

Can I stick my neck out and say, "Observing - reports" is perhaps not really the best place to have this thread? The more forummers light upon it the better, and in its present place it will be missed by some. I would suggest making a place for it in the top ("Newcomers") division of the forum.

Yet another comment (well you did ask for them)! I suppose it's asking too much to have RA and decl. against each object! Especially considering the immense amount of work you've put into it already. Anyway there are plenty of tools like Stellarium and CdC which can instantly furnish users with that information. Personally, when I'm thinking of targeting a new DSO for the first time, the first thing I check is its declination, just to see if it's within reach!

I see you have had the thread moved, Mick, and added considerably to it. Good work! Once you consider your list to be complete, it would be nice to get all the constellations in the correct (alphabetic) order once again. But I don't know whether that can be achieved, short of reconstructing the entire thread from scratch!

Thanks Pete only got a couple more to go I think.

As you say I don't know if it's possible to get them back into alphabetical order. Maybe Ant will know if he dosn't read this I'll pm him.

Well done Mick that is a great deal of work. When deciding on a particular nights viewing it is often useful to concentrate on a particular topic - clusters, galaxies, double stars etc. If you decide to view the objects in one constellation your guide is a very useful reference point. As Mutley says have it in a laminated pocket guide on your observing table could be very useful. Well done again Mick - by the way hope you get your O111 filter on Sunday!!!

mark

Mick, I see you've added Scorpius!

M7 (which you describe as 'no name'), the cluster in the 'sting', is in fact often referred to as 'Ptolemy's Cluster'. It is the most southerly of the Messiers, difficult to observe from parts of Britain but an easy naked-eye object if you're far enough south. Haven't imaged it myself yet, perhaps I ought to have a go!

Mick, I see you've added Scorpius!

M7 (which you describe as 'no name'), the cluster in the 'sting', is in fact often referred to as 'Ptolemy's Cluster'. It is the most southerly of the Messiers, difficult to observe from parts of Britain but an easy naked-eye object if you're far enough south. Haven't imaged it myself yet, perhaps I ought to have a go!

Cheers Pete I will amend it.

Any other mistakes you or any other reader can see please tell me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived