NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Book Review - Big Bang by Simon Singh

Hi All,

After posting about a new book i recieved and not fully read, i felt i should post about this other one.

Big Bang, by Simon Singh.

The cover of this book leaves a lot to be desired i think, it resembles a pizza. However they say never judge a book by the look of the cover. In the case of this book i found it extremely difficult to put down.

Simon has made the history of the big bang theory and science in general read like a novel. showing what an ace story teller this man is.

I will say if anyone has time to read outside the subject Simon Singh has produced to fine books.

I personally (and no i am not on commission) would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in cosmology.

Do other people have this book? What are your thoughts?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read this book a couple of times and think it is a fantastic read. In fact after borrowing it from the local library and enjoying it so much I bought myself a copy.

Simon Singh's other books are very well written and well worth a read. The Code Book and Fermat's Last Theorem for example both cover subjects I think most people with 'sciencey' interests would find very interesting.

I was given a copy by a guest - thanks [removed word]! - and greatly enjoyed it. You need to be aware that Simon Singh is a Big Bang supporter, though he tells you so himself. I would just have liked a little more on the dissenters. There is a minority of professional astronomers who are not convinced and I would like to know more about them, just because I think I should listen. As Feynman said, science is a culture of doubt.

I agree about the cover. Ghastly, like something out of a space comic in 1955. Or indeed a pizza - a used one!

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

I've read this book and thought it was really good. It's been a while since I read it but have read similar books since and 'Big Bang' sticks in my mind as being one of the best.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing with Big Bang is, though fact, it reads like a novel. Something hard to do i think.

Well researched, and yet i find myself quoting from it again and again.

Perhaps the other thing with the book is, i am sure while reading it i had a version of the famous swine flu, which kept me knocked up in bed all over the prev xmas before last, with that book as my only reading matter. So i had plenty of time to digest it :-)

Defo on my must read again list (i hope i dont need another bout of flu though to be able to get round to it)

• 1 year later...

I was about to post asking if anyone can recommend a book summarising the big bang theory and what we have learnt so far untill i came across this thread. would this be the book I'm after? it would especially interest me if covers the evolution of the universe to the present day?

Richard

• 1 month later...
Loved it. Essentially proving the big bang by electrocuting a gherkin lol

I also liked his Katie Melua bit :D

Oh yes - haven't laughed (& learnt) so much all in one evening

Have downloaded the recent podcasts, hopefully get some quiet time to listen soon.

Oh yes - haven't laughed (& learnt) so much all in one evening

Have downloaded the recent podcasts, hopefully get some quiet time to listen soon.

Ooh which podcasts? Infinite monkey cage ones? They are going to do podcasts of the QnA sessions from Uncaged Monkeys :D

Ooh which podcasts? Infinite monkey cage ones? They are going to do podcasts of the QnA sessions from Uncaged Monkeys :D

Yes Uncaged are on itunes.

As are ones with Helen Keen - she was awsome

But they are taking all of the Q&A sessions - but sure if podcast or putting on Robin Ince's site http://www.robinince.com/ - will be be done when the tour ends

Which show did you go to ??

Here - they still have a good few shows to do, but bit on Robin's page :

UNCAGED MONKEYS TOUR UNDERWAY

After the proto-event in Glasgow, the main run of the show is now underway. Some of the unanswered audience questions will be answered soon in a special podcast over at Pod Delusion

http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/

Thanks I've seen that bit. It's the ones on iTunes I can't find :D

Archived