Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope options.

Hello i've been into Astronomy for some 4 years now having read various books on the subject and mainly using the internet to observer stars its quite mad really that i don't actually have to go into my Garden to see any nebulae, galaxies or most night sky objects as i can see them in great details on the web.

However the time has come for me to purchase a scope. I don't want goto as i know my way around the constellations and would rather save on those costs and put more towards the scope or mount.

Initially i was thinking refractor but i think i'm swaying towards Newtonian.

Primarily my interst will be lying in DSO and maybe saturn and jupiter as a fleeting glance of two of the more impressive planets under the scope.

My budget is £800 that include the mount and scope.

The option for astro photography is a possibilty as i do own a cannon dslr.

Refractor scope would be great as i like the idea of a lower mounted eye piece but i also understand newtonian scopes allow for alot more light gathering.

Dob scopes aren't my cup of tea either i prefer something on a mount.

I've been going over and over scopes for about 4months now and really i can't decide. So any help is very much appreciated.

Also are you allowed to reccomend a retailer i live in Bournemouth but i would more than likely be ordering over the Internet.

Regards and happy stargazing

Nic..

You might also want to consider the weight of the scope and mount. If you're like me, you are no longer capable of putting together a really heavy scope, or moving it once it's together.

If you are doing astrophotography, the consensus seems to be that you can buy a really good smaller scope, and use longer exposure times. I have seen some impressive photos taken with 80mm and smaller scopes.

Have you considered an SCT? They have a lot to be said for them in terms of compactness, and do very good pics.

You're right, there's lots to think about.

There are a fair few good small APO refractors around nowadays such as the Skywatcher Equinox 80mm if imaging is your thing. I assume you will want to do long exposure imaging as a DSLR is not really any good for the planets.

Advantage over SCTs (which as Warthog says, are still excellent scopes) is that they are easier on collimation and cool-down times are generally less.

On the other hand, Newtonians will give you more bang for your bucks as they are available in larger apertures at a much more attractive price point. As Warthog says however, they can be heavy unless you can have a permanent set up.

Best bet is to get to a local astro club and take a look at the various gear in the flesh as it were. I also thought that there is an astro dealer in your area, but the name escapes me. They would be worth a visit as you can only glean so much from the Web.

Good luck.

Geoff

Hello thanks for the replies. Weight isn't a problem i'm young and healthy at 27, aslo i've a semi-prermenant setup as i have a shed in the garden that i'll be modifying the roof on rails trick.

Are refractors any good i just like the idea of them to be totaly honest..

Planets need big mags -> very short f/l eyepieces (with their associated problems) or lots of aperture and long focal lengths -> SCTs to get the best view.

Wide field star fields -> short focal length to get low mags with sensible eye pieces. A good refractor gets you a long way here..

Nebs/galaxies for visual need lots of light gathering capabilities -> large dobs (i.e. cheap newts on push/pull alt/az mounts - bigger the better...)or an expensive SCT as they are far more expensive per inch of aperture...

Anything over "simple" DSO photography needs a German Equatorial mount and as low an F/ratio as you can get with a good field of view... which means a different mount to alt az and possibly a fast (F5 or less) big scope..

Nothing works for everything. Up to you what you want most....

Does anyone here use a refractor scope and like them?

i really hate this whole scope options. I think the problem is even a budget scope is still over £100.00 and you just don't want to waste your money.

Without getting to technical or into specifics surely there's some good all rounder scopes that have a bit of everything to offer..

Just to give you an idea how much imaging Refractors have come down in price, I've just recently bought one of these for my widefield imaging setup it uses Super-low Dispersion FLP51 Glass. Something relatively not expensive, a Focal Ratio of F5.9. It also comes with a Soft Case, very ideal if you want to travel.

Just bear in mind if you are observing from anywhere with light pollution, all you will see when you look for the larger galaxies are grey smudges. A 80mm refractor will not be big enough to observe alot of the DSO's with.

It will excell at double stars and star clusters and even hint at many nebulas but as for galaxies apart from M31, M81/82 and maybe a couple more a refractor with 80mm is limited until hooked up for AP then it will deliver the goods.

If you are serious about AP spend more on the mount as this is the most important part of AP.

First you have to decide what you want to do.

Make the assumption that you cannot do all things with one scope, not unless you have deep pockets.

Photography will probably mean a good refractor and a better mount. Apo refractors are not cheap. For serious photography it means a triplet for the colour correction. I have a megrez90 and I like it but I do not image, M90's are around the £800 mark and that is without a mount, add another £800 for a mount. A nice WO FLT132 is around £3000, the FLT 98 is £1800.

Visual, well a refractor, newtonian, sct or dobsonian. Refractors will require a mount, newtonians also (they may be part of the package). Most SCT's I have seen also seem to come on a mount, some as goto's. Dobs are the bigger option and are fully manual.

Will you be taking the scope to other places, if so portability comes into it. Dobs tend to be the least portable option.

Well i've been scouring the web t-nite in search of a scope.

Narrow downed some options.. i want a scope i can develop with and eventually take astro photos with i've decided.

So here goes..

Skywatcher Explorer 150P Dual Axis Motorised Telescope

Celestron C6-NGT - Newtonian Reflector Goto Telescope

Celestron Omni XLT 120 refractor Telescope

Celestron Omni XLT 150 Telescope Package

I've lowerd my budget considerably but only as this will be my first ever scope and i really think it may be a little foolish to jump in the deepend.

Above choices let me know what you think,..

Regards Nic.

:hello2:hey i am a newbie and i have the skywatcher 150p 6" scope from flo i thinks its around £249 and its brilliant i get alot out of it its totally amazing ur u want me to discuss my scope just drop me a pm and i will give u as much info about my scope , but it is a great first scope

kelly

Narrow downed some options.. i want a scope i can develop with and eventually take astro photos with i've decided.

So here goes..

Skywatcher Explorer 150P Dual Axis Motorised Telescope

Celestron C6-NGT - Newtonian Reflector Goto Telescope

Celestron Omni XLT 120 refractor Telescope

Celestron Omni XLT 150 Telescope Package

Of those, I'd go with the C6-NGT. For not a lot more than the other 150mm scopes, you get a full goto on a CG5 mount. I bought that exact package (it was the cheapest way) to get a mount good enough to mount a C9.25" SCT (see: Optical Tube Assemblies - Celestron C9.25 XLT Optical Tube Assembly) for visual. You get full goto (you need to setup and align the mount each time you use it though - takes about 10 minutes once you've done it a few times) and it's proved to be very good the few nights that it's been clear enough to use :)

If you want to do any photography AT ALL, you will need a motorised mount at the very least to track the object. The CG-5 will do that for you nicely and start you out on the photography side of things. To better the mount, you'd need to spend £700+ on something like a HEQ5 or an EQ6 (at £900).

BTW, I wouldn't buy from Telescope Planet if it were me - see the thread elsewhere on here for some very bad stories...

First Light Optics or Telescopesplus.co.uk (actually, Celestrons importers in the UK) will have the same offer on. Don't be tempted by the telescopeplanets offers, the freebies are not brilliant and they are certainly not worth the hassle if anything goes wrong - trust me :D

BTW, you'd also need a "power tank" - basically a 12V battery jump-start type battery (I use a 17Ah) to power the unit. Cost £25-£60 depending on what capacity/extras you want (mine was expensive, but comes with a 200W invertor to power stuff off a mains plug). Google power tank if you need more info.

HTH...

thanks guys been in touh with First light optics..

But i did see this.. what do you think?

Clearance telescopes Telescopes Celestron c100ed-r inc cg5 eq c/w 2inch tripod

or go for the

C8-NGT

Personally, I'd go with the C8-NGT. You will see/learn more (IMHO) with the larger aperture than the C100, and you get goto (which means you don't have to keep moving the scope on it's mount - the motors do that for you as the stars move...

Hi, IMHO, get a good second one, I've just picked up a good Tak FS102, yes in the long term you may have to purchase some nice EPs and a nice powermate but they will last you a life time, you've waited this long, I have a Cel C6S which is ok but the EPs let it down and to buy good ones for that scope is not worth it once again IMO, what you will learn is unless you get something you really like you'll waste your cash. IMHO again go for a refractor, I am a novice so some may disagree but remember that size is not everything and indeed can be a disadvantage in light areas, so I'd save your cash and keep looking at flee bay etc and pick up a nice Tak and EPS slow and sure and you'll never look back, if you want a excellent second hand SC6 with the eye opener EPs and manual mount let me know lol.

Personally, I'd go with the C8-NGT. You will see/learn more (IMHO) with the larger aperture than the C100, and you get goto (which means you don't have to keep moving the scope on it's mount - the motors do that for you as the stars move...

I would agree with Arad85 here, now the goto specials for this refractor have gone I would stick with the C6 or C8 on the CG5 goto mount which having owned one is very solid and probably equals the HEQ5.

You have to take a bit of time and practice with these gotos to get the best out of them, but you can start unguided imaging although you will need a coma corrector with the Newt.

Refractors are really nice to use but they cost alot more per mm of aperture unless you get a good'un secondhand, or for that matter a good Newtonian secondhand there have been a few lately.

Archived