Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Clouds over Arizona

FLO

WOW :shock:

Your a lucky, lucky man Astroman

image.jpg

The clouds in the foreground are much different than the clouds in the background. In the foreground are a photogenic deck of Earth-based water clouds. The long exposure used to create the above photograph makes the light from the left, reflected from Phoenix, Arizona, USA, appear like a sunset. Far in the distance, however, are star clouds from the disk of our Milky Way Galaxy. Billions of stars like our Sun live there, circling our Galactic centre every 200 million years. Contrast between the water clouds and the star clouds has been digitally enhanced. Between the two, visible on the upper right, is the planet Jupiter.

http://tinyurl.com/nlrkn

Yeah, I saw this on APOD today and thought it looked familiar. This was taken from the site, and the night of our Messier Marathon. Looks like it was taken around 3 am or so. Notice Corona Australis rising above the trees. Didn't get to meet Mr. Beinert, but he obviously has a good eye, and knows how to manipulate an image. Good work.

Hey, you guys are welcome, any time. :D

It's but a dreamscape to most of us Astroman, i guess i could get lost in all those stars which would be fantastic. Corona Australis good spot :D. SGL Messier Marathon from there would be something wouldnt it 8)

The sad thing is, we're so spoiled out here that if the skies looked like this with the clouds, most AZ astronomers wouldn't even go out.

WH, you're aware that he processed the heck outta that image, yes? Contrast enhanced something like the one of the sunset from space posted elsewhere.

WH, you're aware that he processed the heck outta that image, yes? Contrast enhanced something like the one of the sunset from space posted elsewhere.

Only sorta vaguely. I'm a visual astronomer. I have been up in Tobermory, ON, and the Milky Way was bright, and golden. It was also so humid I had water running off the scope. That's four hours away. I'm hoping to go back this summer with one or both of my sons. It's not always that humid, but being in the middle of Lake Huron doesn't help.

Hey, you guys are welcome, any time. :D

I'll let you know if I win the lottery, how many of us can you put up?

What am I saying? Where is the closest five star hotel?

OK so the image was processed a lot, some of do as much processing to pick out stars from the LP, it must help if it actually gets dark where you are.

Captain Chaos

• 3 months later...

Thats a real Wow picture Astroman. When I went to Phoenix late last year the skies were very polluted, much to my amazement. Expected so much but saw so little. Guess an hours drive might have fixed that but you know what its like when you're on business.

Fantastic picture though! Skies we all dream of.

Gary

Archived