Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new tent..

Doc

With the forth coming stargazers party I thought I would buy myself a much bigger tent. The old 1 man tent would be a bit of a tight squeeze for me and my dob.

So I bought one of these.

What are your views as camping is something I have done very little off.

post-13619-133877372999_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a lovely tent Mick, I've never been camping myself but it's these sturdy and very very waterproof looking tents that get me thinking about a couple of nights in an area with little to nothing in the way of LP. I guess with all the space you can 'spread yourself around' - I'd have to make it seem like a home from home, lol!

Amanda

Thanks guys for your comments.

Well I hope it's waterproof Amanda. The advert said double skined and with taped seams. So sounds great but proof is in the pudding so to speak.

I needed room to place the dob in after we pack up for the night, this gives me ample space to do that.

Hi Doc, had the same one, very water proof, but does tend to to be prone to condensation, keep all your vent's open!

Enjoy your new tent.

Mick.G.

Thats great news Mick.

Was it easy to pitch?

That looks a big improvement over the tent I used at SGL4 Mick !.

I borrowed my daughters 2 person hiking tent then - I'm a big bloke and barely fitted inside - it would have been very cosy indeed for 2 or even 1 plus dob but luckily I had my 4" refractor at that event so could put that in my car boot. I'm either going to bring our Caravan to Salisbury or buy a bigger tent !.

You will be able to take on lodgers with a spacious palace like that :)

John

Hi again Doc, if you get it right you can get up, 20 mins tops.

I used to put the two middle upright's up first,then the two at either end were a doddle. The inner tents just hang from their eyelets, so you can take your time with them.

All the best Mick.G.

Looks the business Mick. All the big events here in Ireland as far as I can see seem to be weekend affairs with Lectures during the day and observing at night with everyone retiring to B&B's and Zero talk about tents!! Irish Astronomers must be soft! :)

However, if I ever decide to start making trips over the water to the UK to the likes of Salsbury, Kelling or the SGL events, that is exactly what I would have had in mind for myself and my LB16 too. After reading the SGL4 thread I did in fact google tents and was looking for something with enough room for me and for somewhere to roll the scope into out of the inevitable rain. ie. instead of buying an all weather cover for the scope to leave it outside in the elements and a small tent. I figured it was better to get a larger tent that could accomodate the scope too.

Its easier for us dob owners with no polar aligning tripods ets and especially ours with our wheelbarrow handles, where it makes no difference to us if we move the scope, whereas a GEM owner has to either buy a really great cover so he can leave his scope outside setup or else have to break it down, move it inside and have to go through the whole rigmarole of setting it back up and alignining it when the rain stops.

We can just grab the wheelbarrow handles and roll her in and out fully set up in seconds. :D With our big scopes and big tents, we've got "All our dob bases covered" if you'll pardon the pun :)

So thanks for doing the homework! That tent looks the absolute business for the likes of us. LOL, I'll have copied your tent idea as well as elements of your LB16 mods!! :) I'm not a stalker, I promise :) imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all! :)

I would advise that after you have set it up and before you habg the inners that you have a good look at the "roof" of the tent to make sure there is no small holes that you cannot normally see , then zip it all up and turn the garden hose on giving the tent a good soaking (especially around the seams)

That way you will know that you will be fine the first time you have to use it in anger. :)

Let us know how you get on when you use it for real.

I too need to buy a bigger tent. My Quasar is great for taking snow loads and winter storms in the mountains but it's absolutely rubbish at taking telescopes, baby daughter and baby daughter's gear (how can such a small person need so much stuff?)

Andrew

Looks like a great tent and as Jamie says, nowt wrong with having a bit more space. My four birth felt like it could have been bigger when I was up at Kielder with all the kit (camping and astro) laid out, I like the centre atrium design too.

Tent arrived today.

Very well packaged just got to wait for a nice sunny day to test run it in the back garden.

Actually, you want a foul, windy, rainy day to test it. Make sure you know what has to be tight to keep water out, and where it might leak.

My four man tent makes a nice one man tent for star parties although I let my wife stay in it sometimes. I usually take along a kitchen shelter too, in order to have somewhere to cook in the rain, and to put the scope on a bad night. I may have to give that up, though, as folding up the kitchen shelter and the tent is getting to be more than my back can stand.

Yes I've heard they can be a PITA to pack away and try to get them back into their original packing case.

Good idea about trying it out in the rain or put a hose on it.

I'll get my 8 year old son to sit inside while I water it. See if he spots any leaks. He will love it :cool:

Putting tents back in to their original bags is one of the levels of hell from Dante's forgot to mention imho. Particularly if it was raining the night before and things are wet, you're tired etc....

I've got a 5 man tent, and I've chucked the bag it came in and bought a waterproof roll bag (an ortileb one from my local camping shop) which is big enough to accommodate it without me tearing my hair out, folding the tent in to physically impossible dimensions and densities.

Never combined camping and telescopes personally. One thing I would be weary about is that rain is a cunning minx and has a way finds its way in your tent no matter what. Double check everything! And set the opening down-hill if there is an incline. Condensation, moisture and heat can build up during the day - if you're leaving the scope in there during the day, maybe worth leaving the door open (but the net closed, or you'll have an insect invasion).

It looks the part Doc. and I know for sure I am going to do the same when SGL5 comes around. I used a 3 man one at SGL4, but it still required crawling in and out on my knees. Got a bit fed up with that, so I'm going to equip myself with a portable mansion for the next one. If I get one in good time, I might be able to persuade the wife to come with me..:cool:.

Ron.:)

Well guys the met office has forcast sun over the weekend so I'll give it a go at putting it up and watering it.

Then I'll take some photo's with the dob in place.

Archived