My mini roll off roof observatory

StaceStar

Hello all

Not really the best time of year to do it, but i'm going to start building a mini roll off roof observatory. To be honest, if i don't build this observatory soon I won't be doing much astro over the winter season, and if i do build it then its going to be a huge help! You see i managed to herniate three neck discs in 2022, and recovery is still ongoing. 

Anyway you might have seen my DIY pier, which has been a lifesaver,  and so that bit of work is done! So i'm going to build a mini roll off roof  observatory around it!

Basically i'm going to be sort of following @Domain105 fab build....so yes watch this space!!

So far i've bought plenty of wood, fence posts, fence post anchors....no concrete yet, and heavy duty rollers :)  these ones (1500mm long) : https://amzn.eu/d/8jQ8Dwm and a few other bits and pieces. 

We'll see how it goes, at least is the ground is a bit softer for me to dig things in! (silver linings :) )

I'm hoping if we get a run of a few nicer days then i can book a few days off work and get a good chunk of the frame done!🤞

IMG_1214.jpg

• Like 7

It'll be a bit of work to get it done but once you've got a permanent setup, it's a game changer. 

It now takes me 10-15 minutes to be imaging with my Obsy and I'm not worried if I only get an hour or two before the clouds roll in. And don't try to get it perfect first time out, you'll see tweaks that can be made as you start to use it. ;)

Good luck with the build and enjoy the results. 👍

• Like 3

Agree, having an obsy will make so much difference, but not sure how you are going to be digging with herniated discs, ouch.. that may not be the best idea, can you get someone to do it for you…?

Good Luck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

it's a game changer

Definitely. I set mine up a couple of years ago - no more cold nights outside or setting up 'just in case'.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Agree, having an obsy will make so much difference, but not sure how you are going to be digging with herniated discs, ouch.. that may not be the best idea, can you get someone to do it for you…?

Good Luck

For sure ! The wife is on fully on board, and is going to help me get the heavy / digging bits done thankfully 

• Like 3

So work has begun, my better half helped me knock the posts in as the neck is giving me a bit of grief at the moment.

frame isn’t quite finished, things need straightening up a bit, and my drill started smoking. Plus rain 😅 so now it’s time for a glass of wine in front of the fire ! 

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

• Like 4

Today’s small update, I added a few brackets to reinforce cross bars and corners and got myself a new impact driver! I think my drill is going to thank me 🤣

IMG_1291.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

• Like 3

How did you manage to knock those 4 corner posts spikes in and keep them perfectly vertical, I have never had success with them as they always via off at odd angles in my experience. And I have used many for fences over the years.. well done if they are, and would love to know your secret…

‘Good job so far..👍🏻

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

How did you manage to knock those 4 corner posts spikes in and keep them perfectly vertical, I have never had success with them as they always via off at odd angles in my experience. And I have used many for fences over the years.. well done if they are, and would love to know your secret…

‘Good job so far..👍🏻

Well we used my late Dad's sledgehammer (he was a builder)...so maybe he gave us a hand :) 

In reality, we just let the hammer do the work, the ground was nice and soft after all that rain, and we didn't absolutely whack them in. Just more less powerful hits, until they were in exactly the position we wanted. 

• Like 1

And the roof shell is made, I just need to reinforce it and add a slope so that rain runs off :) 

also had an electrician pop around to talk about getting some mains power and an Ethernet connection to my observatory! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

Looking good, have you got enough clearance there for when you scope and kit is fitted, to be able to shut the roof over the top..?

Or is it already fitted under the cover..?

Yep! Checked multiple times and enough clearance when the scope is parked horizontally 😃

• Like 2