Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Course

Hello all, I was wondering if there was anyone in this great community that has furthered their individual knowledge by completing an online astronomy course. I am looking at the courses offered by Swinburne University in Australia (Swinburne Astronomy Online).

If you have, then please let me know of your experiences.

Cheers

Kris

Seems to be quite popular. I'm corresponding with a guy who's in the middle of his Swinburne course.. I'll see if I can put you into direct contact with him, that way you'll get some first hand feedback.

My wife and I are about to embark on the basic astronomy module run by the Open University,,well the wife is doing the exams etc, but I have decided to do the course using her course material and am really looking forward to it, of course because she is paying only she will submit any work to the OU.

I hope it will give me a better understanding of our great hobby.

Carl

Hi Paliadon,

The hubby & I are both OU (Open Uni) slaves.

The hubby (DrummerP) is currently doing Level 1 astronomy which is online - I think he's enjoying it.

I've done Level 2, SXR208 Observing the Universe, which was mostly online but I also had to 'suffer' a week in sunny Mallorca. I would recommend that course to anyone.

We had people from all over the world come for it (Oz, Germany, Singapore..the list goes on). A bit pricey but excellent.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll love it.

Claire

The OU offer a few Astronomy course's and My wife, (claire) and I between us have done some which are counting towards our degrees.

For the basic's try Course S194 and S196 I found them really good and they are only short course and cheap.

Most of the astro course's are listed under the Science degrees.

You could also look at Manchester open Uni they also offer some good course's.

Best of luck

Neil

Thanks for the info guys. I am going down to the Swinburne University on Monday to have a discussion with the course directors so am hoping to glean some more information then.

Cheers

Kris

Archived