Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 Second Try

Coco

I had another crack at M51. I'm waiting for my LVi to arrive from Bern but was over tempted to polar align the CPC and have an un guided crack at M51.

This is a 45 x 50's stack and stretched. The sky was a bit hazy but I'm quite encouraged about the result. :)

Onwards and upwards. . This is my first season ...Thanks for looking and critique welcome..

original.jpg

Hi Coco

Nice image, much better than my first few tries

Hope you dont mind, couldnt resist having a tinker with your image as im trying to practice post processing in photoshop.

I'm sure others could draw out more hidden data but heres my attempt anyway :)

post-13805-133877372217_thumb.jpg

Its definitely onwards and upwards Guy :)

Is there a LP filter in there somewhere - as there is a slight cyan cast to the image which can be fairly easily corrected in the psot processing.. the polar alignment must have been fairly good judging by the star shape on 50s subs at that focal length.

The guiding will make a huge difference...

Peter.

Its definitely onwards and upwards Guy :)

Is there a LP filter in there somewhere - as there is a slight cyan cast to the image which can be fairly easily corrected in the psot processing.. the polar alignment must have been fairly good judging by the star shape on 50s subs at that focal length.

The guiding will make a huge difference...

Peter.

Thanks all for the encouraging words.

Yes Pete CLS clip.

Cheers

Guy

For a first season imaging that's an excellent M51. Well done.

The haze makes processing difficult. As Peter says the CLS filter is responsible for the colour cast.

The colour cast needs removing before you start stretching the image. In Photoshop this can be done by using Image Adjustment Levels (Ctrl - L) and getting the histograms for the Red, Green & Blue channels to line up as closely as possible. Use the slider controls to do this.

This will neutralise the background and even up the colour in M51. You may need to use the Colour Balance menu to make further tweeks.

Look forward to your next posts.

:)

MD

That is an amazing result Coco. Was it at F10? and alt az or on a wedge? If that was an F10 alt az image I really take my hat off to you and it's a tribute to what a CPC can achieve as well. I think we're all getting too used to tightly guided images with hours of exposure. This is a lovely image and there is a lot of detail in there.

As far as I'm concerned you've processed it to a tee. It looks very natural and you have avoided the temptation to push things too far. This makes me think you are a natural when it comes to processing. OK, it is cyan but it really works for me as a mono image.

That is an amazing result Coco. Was it at F10? and alt az or on a wedge? If that was an F10 alt az image I really take my hat off to you and it's a tribute to what a CPC can achieve as well. I think we're all getting too used to tightly guided images with hours of exposure. This is a lovely image and there is a lot of detail in there.

As far as I'm concerned you've processed it to a tee. It looks very natural and you have avoided the temptation to push things too far. This makes me think you are a natural when it comes to processing. OK, it is cyan but it really works for me as a mono image.

I'll be blushing like a proverbial school girl in a minute :D

It was unguided with a Celestron 6.3 converter and 40D(CLS). Polar aligned using my astrotrac and then CPC lifted on after.

Best I can manage is 55 seconds and even then 1:3 are showing trailing

Waiting for an LVi (on order) and Modded 450D :)

original.jpg

Excellent result for a first attempt Coco - stick at it! Have a look through the tutorial articles for any further hints and tips on processing, MartinB wrote some really useful stuff on LRGB in particular, but it looks like you have a handle on that already so just keep getting out there!

~Iain

Archived