Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shuttle hubble mission

Psychobilly

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure wish those people the very best of luck. This mission is a mean Mother. They will be working a long way from the ISS If anything goes wrong. I believe a Shuttle will be on the pad for a rescue attempt if it is necessary.

Ron.

yep think its the endevour thats waiting to be launched if a rescue is required, NASA aren't pulling nay punches about how dangerous this one is, limit of fuel endurance and having to travel close to debris from when the chinese destroyed one of their sats in an experiment. either NASA are covering themselves for any accidents or they're driving up the interest

Hi Sat12345

The ISS is not the target for this mission. This is a hubble Repair mission. Which NASA nearly scrubed this as the ISS is not reachable at any time during this mission and is therefore not a safe haven in a emergency. Any rescue attempt would be carried out by STS-400 which is sat on launch pad 39b at T-7 day's and holding, If any problems are detected then the countdown will go to T-3 day's and hold untill a rescue plan is made and then it will launch. (I hope this doesn't happen)

Just watched the Discovery live coverage :)

One thing that I was wondering....

The take off footage shows space as black. Would the astronaughts see tons of stars?

When you are at a dark sky site you see masses of stars, surely up in space without the atmosphere they would see so much more?

If the astronauts are in 'daytime' then I imagine that the Sun would block out the stars with its glare, although others will have to confirm this!!

The Discovery live coverage was fantastic!! :)

Just watched the Discovery live coverage :)

One thing that I was wondering....

The take off footage shows space as black. Would the astronaughts see tons of stars?

When you are at a dark sky site you see masses of stars, surely up in space without the atmosphere they would see so much more?

I was at an Astronomy conference a few weeks back, and one of the speakers was Michael Foale, the astronaut.

He said that during "day" - which lasts 45 mins in orbit, all the stars are invisible and the sky is black.

However, at "night", the sky is ablaze with colour and doesn't look anything like it does from earth. During EVA, he said that the view is astounding. The colours of the stars along the milky way are amazing, and the "hub" of the galaxy isn't just clearly visible, but actually distracting. Space, as he said, is incredibly colourful.

Wow, to see that...

The colours of the stars along the milky way are amazing, and the "hub" of the galaxy isn't just clearly visible, but actually distracting. Space, as he said, is incredibly colourful.

Wow, to see that...

But wwe've seen Hubble images...so why CAN'T we see that??

david

Archived