NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Growing more sceptical about Lunar landing.

25 minutes ago, Ags said:

we could stop wasting money on things with truly zero or negative value, like sport, alcohol, cosmetics, gambling etc etc. Leave my rockets alone!

Yep, and we could easily replace the tax revenue generated by those activities with other sources to fund adventures in rocket land. Err, well maybe not :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

Starlink is an example of a commercial opportunity that opened and initiated the most massive launch program of the space age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saac said:

Yep, and we could easily replace the tax revenue generated by those activities with other sources to fund adventures in rocket land. Err, well maybe not :) 

Jim 

You misunderstand me. We don't need to worry about lost tax revenues, as those formerly engaged in these unproductive activities will surrender to the logic of the situation and voluntarily give 100% of their expenditure on such wasteful pursuits directly to scientific and technological research.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ags said:

Starlink is an example of a commercial opportunity that opened and initiated the most massive launch program of the space age.

I wonder how long it will be before we have the Golden Arches of McDonalds on the Moon. Do you want fries with your Big Mac Lunar Burger ? :) 

Jim 

14 hours ago, tomato said:

Yes, the Apollo Programme had its detractors, but at least those dollars were being spent on something positive rather bombing parts of SE Asia. There was the deep philosophical reaction to the Apollo 8 “Earthrise” photo at the end of a turbulent 1968, and I remember the way the whole world seemed to get behind the rescue effort for Apollo 13. I’m inclined to agree with Gene Kranz that it was NASA’s finest hour.

I agree, Apollo 13 regenerated the public interest, globally rather than just in the USA, and having read Gene's book he was right about it being their finest hour.  But after that most Americans interest had all but vanished, with TV viewing of later missions no longer prime time and the viewing numbers lower than some kids programs.

23 hours ago, Earl said:

Its all nice but I think there are more pressing matters to invest the time, energy and funds into

FUSION POWER…

The saviour of the human race

1 minute ago, Andy ES said:

FUSION POWER…

I agree the Billions spent on Luna landing would be far better spent in fusion power and super conductor reserch and are ideal stepping stones to looking off world, however im sure there are many more pressing issues before that .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy ES said:

FUSION POWER…

Not so sure, ever heard the expression...like a kid in a sweetshop!

Oh,  how the mighty (Boeing) have fallen.  Lost many experienced engineers, accountants and marketers took over management, 737s fell out of the sky, have to work now with fixed-price contracts.

I have no doubt the lunar landing is going to go ahead on schedule, on budget and without mishaps.

But it will be the Chinese who do it.

On 27/05/2024 at 14:57, Ags said:

. If we really wanted to sort out our problems, we could stop wasting money on things with truly zero or negative value, like sport, alcohol, cosmetics, gambling etc etc. Leave my rockets alone!

Wasting money on alcohol!!??

Rocket fuel is what keeps me semi-sane!

On 27/05/2024 at 18:31, John said:

I've no doubts whatsoever that the Apollo missions 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17 landed on the Moon during the period 1969 to 1972. 

Whether humans will set foot there again in the near future, I do have my doubts about. 

I agree fully on Apollo and share your doubts on Moon missions from the West

But let us not forget the other runners in the present Moon race, China especially who although slow burn in the past will be boots on the Moon this decade