NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bresser or GSO for a 12" inch dob

Hi,

After years of waiting and enthusiasm I have decided to buy my own dobsonian. I'm confused with these two options at the moment,

1. BRESSER-Messier-12-Dobson-Telescope
2. GSO 12″ Dobsonian (White)

I think O ring is one cool feature in Bresser which GSO doesn't have apart from that GSO comes with two eyepieces default. Now I would like to know which is relatively better and in what aspects? I'm from South Asia and the planning to keep this Dob for a longer time, maybe try some super simple photo capturing but the main purpose will be Deep sky observation only. It would really help to know which comparatively have the edge over the other and what are certain things I have to keep in mind before picking one.

• Like 1

Firstly a warm welcome to SGL😊

It’s always a tough call giving advice…

A 12 inch Dob is a very capable scope for deep sky and all types of observing.  If you’re young and strong maybe you can manage the weight?   How far from where you will store it to where you will use it?  If it’s too far you may struggle but some users fit locking castor wheels on the base to help.  But that means the storage shed needs no step at the door.

Both those scopes are good.  I wouldn’t let the supplied eyepieces sway your choice, you will likely upgrade those later on.  One advantage of the Bresser is that the tube can be rotated to bring the eyepiece to a comfortable angle.

See what others may say, not just me.  Happy observing whichever one you choose!

Ed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think they share the same optics. Both are nice, the bresser variant has an R&P 2.5" focuser which is great for astrophotography and the GSO has a smoother (but slipping under heavy load) crayford focuser with 1:10 reduction which makes it nicer for visual.

The bresser seems to have a better designed dobsonian mount especially the altitude rings, and can easily be adapted to ride on an equatorial mount.

If it's purely visual, I would probably go with the GSO (as is cheaper too), but if I wanted to keep my options open, then I would go for the Bresser variant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GSO 12 inch dobs often need to have their primary collimation springs upgraded because the stock ones are too weak to hold the collimation as the scope is moved around. This is not an expensive operation but it is fiddly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

GSO 12 inch dobs often need to have their primary collimation springs upgraded because the stock ones are too weak to hold the collimation as the scope is moved around.

Yep, first thing I did with my (GSO) StellaLyra. Optics are amazing (at least on mine). In good seeing on the moon it's sharp at x461 (3.3mm TOE).

D5H_03402048.thumb.jpg.a9806491d7ea5a15e069c3872c363c4c.jpg

I also made modifications to the base, such as strengthening struts and a full sized bearing. I put rubber feet on it too so it can stand on its end - the collimation screws protrude from the back and I wouldn't risk standing it on them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can (and probably will) upgrade any other component relatively cheaply, but not the mount.    So IMO the mount is the most important factor in deciding between the scopes.

I'd therefore recommend the Bresser. I did head to head comparisons and found that because of the large bearings it has a much  better mounting than the  GSO. 

I also found that with this style of mount I could carry one size bigger scope than the GSO and most other competitors by using the altitude ring.

The Bresser also has a very good and better focuser, that can be upgraded at low cost to a dual speed.  

Edited November 14, 2023 by Second Time Around

Like 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not an easy choice between the two. I would go for the GSO and forfeit the great altitude bearings on the Bresser. The Crayford focuser on the GSO is dual speed as standard whereas the Bresser requires a mod costing about £100. The finder scope on the Bresser is poor quality imo and is a straight through 6x30. The GSO has a decent quality 8X50 RACI. The GSO also has a cooling fan fitted as standard as well. Saying that the Bresser is £120 more expensive to start with, plus £100 for the focuser upgrade not to mention the 8X50 RACI finder and fan prices it's an easy choice for me. The fact that the Bresser could be mounted on an EQ mount (once you buy a dovetail bar of course) is a plus however very few people actually go ahead and do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Firstly a warm welcome to SGL😊

It’s always a tough call giving advice…

A 12 inch Dob is a very capable scope for deep sky and all types of observing.  If you’re young and strong maybe you can manage the weight?   How far from where you will store it to where you will use it?  If it’s too far you may struggle but some users fit locking castor wheels on the base to help.  But that means the storage shed needs no step at the door.

Both those scopes are good.  I wouldn’t let the supplied eyepieces sway your choice, you will likely upgrade those later on.  One advantage of the Bresser is that the tube can be rotated to bring the eyepiece to a comfortable angle.

See what others may say, not just me.  Happy observing whichever one you choose!

Ed.

Thanks. I’m quite happy to have found a super supportive community. Yeah I can manage the weight of 12” and have a dedicated space in my terrace. So not much moving around while home, also the place I reside has light pollution of bortle scale of 4. I’m kinda leaning towards the Bresser one as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

You can (and probably will) upgrade any other component relatively cheaply, but not the mount.    So IMO the mount is the most important factor in deciding between the scopes.

I'd therefore recommend the Bresser. I did head to head comparisons and found that because of the large bearings it has a much  better mounting than the  GSO. 

I also found that with this style of mount I could carry one size bigger scope than the GSO and most other competitors by using the altitude ring.

The Bresser also has a very good and better focuser, that can be upgraded at low cost to a dual speed.  

Edited November 14, 2023 by Second Time Around

Like 1

Mount and built quality excluding the optics are something I’m weighing more atm. Like as you said I can upgrade optics and other stuff later. 

Also may I please know why do you think P&R focuser better than Crayford one? 

37 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Not an easy choice between the two. I would go for the GSO and forfeit the great altitude bearings on the Bresser. The Crayford focuser on the GSO is dual speed as standard whereas the Bresser requires a mod costing about £100. The finder scope on the Bresser is poor quality imo and is a straight through 6x30. The GSO has a decent quality 8X50 RACI. The GSO also has a cooling fan fitted as standard as well. Saying that the Bresser is £120 more expensive to start with, plus £100 for the focuser upgrade not to mention the 8X50 RACI finder and fan prices it's an easy choice for me. The fact that the Bresser could be mounted on an EQ mount (once you buy a dovetail bar of course) is a plus however very few people actually go ahead and do it.

Honestly 6x30 finder scope on the bresser is a bummer for sure. 

Just now, thegopieffect said:

Honestly 6x30 finder scope on the bresser is a bummer for sure. 

Yes it's plastic I believe. The R&P focuser can take more weight than a Crayford however the Crayford is smoother for visual observing in my opinion. R&P focusers are by far the best for astrophotography where there can be a weighty load on the focuser with all the accessories that can be required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2024 at 16:00, thegopieffect said:

picking one.

Hi

The Bresser.

The mount and the focuser are superior. The former allows you to rotate the tube, a godsend with this size of telescope. The latter is a massive 2-1/2 inch low ratio geared affair which  -in contrast to the gso- does not tilt and retains the same focus position when locked.

The Bresser is also easily mounted on an EQ mount should you decide at a later date you can afford an eq8 and do deep sky astrophotography (!).

Cheers and HTH

Disclaimer: my only hands on was with a Bresser 10" and a Omegon (gso) 10" with the -superior- linear rail focuser and it was not a side by side comparison. Focusers aside, the mount alone would decide it for me.

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, alacant said:

and the focuser are superior.

Disagree strongly, The focuser on my 12" is as good as it gets and is also dual speed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Disagree strongly, The focuser on my 12" is as good as it gets and is also dual speed.

Hi, thanks for your response. Have you tried astrophotography with the GSO’s focuser? I mean any workaround? 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

The Bresser.

The mount and the focuser are superior. The former allows you to rotate the tube, a godsend with this size of telescope. The latter is a massive 2-1/2 inch low ratio geared affair which  -in contrast to the gso- does not tilt and retains the same focus position when locked.

The Bresser is also easily mounted on an EQ mount should you decide at a later date you can afford an eq8 and do deep sky astrophotography (!).

Cheers and HTH

Disclaimer: my only hands on was with a Bresser 10" and a Omegon (gso) 10" with the -superior- linear rail focuser and it was not a side by side comparison. Focusers aside, the mount alone would decide it for me.

Yeah I’m getting quite serious about astrophotography so my choice is Bresser’s one for sure. Feedback and opinions from experienced people from this community really helps in getting to know more about both of my choices. Super happy to be part of the journey with this community. 

Edited by thegopieffect
Typo

8 hours ago, dweller25 said:

I would go with the Bresser as the mount bearings are better - that does make a big difference when you are using it.

How about the primary mirrors on both? Do you think it’s good equally? With Bresser’s I’m definitely getting the fan. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

For the price of Bresser’s I thought they could provide dual speed but unfortunately it’s on us the enthusiasts. 

1 hour ago, thegopieffect said:

Yeah I’m getting quite serious about astrophotography so my choice is Bresser’s one for sure. Feedback and opinions from experienced people from this community really helps in getting to know more about both of my choices. Super happy to be part of the journey with this community. 

If you are serious about astrophotography then you are buying the wrong telescope completely. Buy a refractor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

If you are serious about astrophotography then you are buying the wrong telescope completely. Buy a refractor.

This 👍

• Like 1