NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The wife wants a 10"+ scope

Every since going to the recent star party looking through alex's 12" Dob and robs 14" Meade Claire now wants one of her own.

She'll let me keep the old skywatcher 130p all to myself but she wants a larger scope for deep sky visual observation.

It looks like I'm gonna be purchasing Steve's CG-5 mount if all goes well so I'll have the old EQ3 mount going spare and wondered if this could take a larger scope (not for tracking) ???

If so what would be the ideal scope of at least 10" 2nd hand and at the cheapest price if the mount can't take anything larger then would it be cheaper to purchase a 10 or 12" dob with the floor mount stand?

Cheers

Neil

An EQ3 is going to be pretty well underpowered for almost anything over 6"

My HEQ5 is at the limits with an 8" in my opinion. Its not just the weight its the overall balance.

A 10" is really going to need a minimum of an HEQ5 and really better on an EQ6.

If pure aperture is what you want then a dob is really the only practical way to go unless you can afford a seriously large mount.

Sky-Watcher do a 12" on a modified EQ6 but that would be a hellish sized scope to transport.

Thats all assuming a Newtonian of course. An 11 SCT would fit on an EQ6 without too much trouble I'd think.

IMO, if you're planning on getting a scope 10" or larger and putting it on a EQ mount then you'll need an EQ6. A HEQ5 just takes a 10" and putting it on the mount isn't a job for the faint hearted either.

I'd go for a dob personally.

Tony..

Women eh?, never satisfied, always want a bigger one, just tell her size doesnt matter, its how you use it :D

Sorry, couldnt resist, i'll get me coat :)

oh, btw, I just bought an 8incher for my Heq5pro, and agree with Astrobaby its nearing the limit imho, 10inch realy needs the Heq6

I recently built dob mount for my explorer 200 and I'm hooked, loads easier and far quicker to set up than my EQ5. When it comes to up grade time and the obys built, I'm going to get the biggest dob my money will buy.

John

I used to have a Skywatcher 8" dob and I've now upgraded to a 12" Meade Lightbridge. I keep it in my house and reckon the 12" is the largest scope that I could use in this manner. It does not get used as much as my 4" ED refractor but when the skies are dark a 12" can produce some really stunning views :D

I had the pleasure of using Alex's 12" Skywatcher at SGL4 myself and was amazed what the scope could do under dark skies - seeing the mag 13.5 Supernova in NGC 4088 in Ursa Major was a "Wow !" moment for me :)

John

Hi John,

I think when we were all looking through Alex's 12" dob it was amazing and I think that was when the wife became stunned by what she could see and I think thats what's made her now want something similar in size.

Cheers

Neil

Well I seam to carry everything so that a be me then although, once we have one, I'll be looking to either purchase or make a wheele trolly for it however, I do live up 2 flights of stairs. :)

Cheers

Neil

There was a 30" star spilitter dob on ebay recently - sold for £4,250 in the end.

Now that would have impressed the missus - but I seriously doubt you could lug it up 2 flights of stairs.

Heres a pic of it - I thought about it but my partner said if I bought it I should think about living in it cos I'd be out. :):(:D

post-14805-133877371764_thumb.jpg

Sorry Olly - it was posted on here by someone else when the auction was still running. Someone got a serious bargain.

I'd never be able to store it, transport it etc. But you have to admit it would be a killer at a star party :):):D

Sorry Olly - it was posted on here by someone else when the auction was still running. Someone got a serious bargain.

I'd never be able to store it, transport it etc. But you have to admit it would be a killer at a star party :):):D

I believe it was bought by an SGL member (and some friends) so I guess there is a chance that we might come across it one day :)

John

Hi John,

I think when we were all looking through Alex's 12" dob it was amazing and I think that was when the wife became stunned by what she could see and I think thats what's made her now want something similar in size.

Cheers

Neil

She will be wanting an Ethos eyepiece to go with it then Neil :)

M51 and the Supernova looked really good with that EP !.

John

How on earth do you get up to the eye piece on that?!

Do you have to hire a cherry-picker? Or a trampoline?

I was fairly intimidated by the size of Astronut's dob...nothing bigger than that, thank you!

She will be wanting an Ethos eyepiece to go with it then Neil :)

M51 and the Supernova looked really good with that EP !.

John

Do you have a cheap eyepiece for for sell then John !!

£4k an incredible bargain even if the scope needs a bit of work. As a Starsplitter owner (a little 18") I can vouch for the excellence of these instruments. I have had mine for a decade and other than a simple cell mod and needing to re varnish it to cope with our damp UK climate it has performed stunningly. I'd travel to any starparty to have a look through this rare and giant scope!!

Adrian

Archived