NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi everyone,  I'm still very new to the Astrophotography world, I've got this pattern on my pics, and have no idea what causes it, and more importantly how to get rid of it? I'm guessing I've done something wrong lol. If anyone can help, could you please give me step by step instructions.  Thankyou. Pete.

20240514_112116.jpg

Astrophotography is a steep learning curve. Whilst some are very proficient and produce great images, many give up and find other ways to do astronomy.

My own astrophotography is as simple as it gets, I do an online search for whatever object I want. Almost instantly I see fabulous images done by others.

Whatever floats your boat, I hope you find it.

Ed.

• Like 1

What equipment are you using?

Is this a raw sub, calibrated sub (with flats/darks, etc) or a final stacked image?

Can you share a few of the files this is affecting by attaching them to the post?

• Like 1

Might be Bayer pattern incorrectly processed.

Might even be a pattern from your PC screen.

So if you want to fault find or make quality assessments don't post images of the PC screen taken with your phone.

Post actual images as Chris requested.

And what your equipment is.

Michael

• Like 2

Looking at the screenshot what flat panel are you using and do you diffuse the light with material in between the panel and the scope?

You appear to have the telescope mounted backwards and have taken an image of your hands and phone. The pattern maybe a lace curtain?

I didn't actually mean that. More data is needed to compute

• Haha 3

Assuming you are using Windows, you can use Windows-Shift-S to make a screen capture, rather than resorting to photographing your screen with your phone.

• Like 1

Are you using a filter of any kind ?  I've had some patterns produced by reflections between the sensor and filter, it was mostly visible on bright stars and solved by adjusting the distance between sensor and filter.

Try an image without the filter to see if that removes the pattern.

Fault finding with astrophotography usually involves stripping back to basics, other things to try may be ensuring binning is 1x1 and as has been suggested the bayer matrix, have a look at the raw image before bayer pattern is applied or try the 4 different bayer patterns to see if the pattern is still there.  Is it on the individual light frames or only after calibration frames (darks/flats) have been stacked.

• Like 2

It does look like a colour image that has not been debayered. Colour cameras work by having individual red, green and blue filters above each sensor pixel called the Bayer matrix. This array has to be correctly interpreted by the software to assign the colours correctly. If no debayer operation is performed you see a black and white image with a coarse grid overlayed, much like the photo you have posted. As folks have already indicated, it is very helpful to post the image directly and give details of the equipment, software etc that you are using.

• Like 1