NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

my first time through a telescope.

i wasnt sure where to post this.

Last night i had my first real chance to look through a telescope. I know most of you might think it is nothing special but it took my breath away.

A friend brought round his scope and set it up to view the moon. I couldn't look away! apart from a few clouds the view was perfect for me. The detail that I could see was amazing and it has boosted my eagerness to get more into astronomy.

The part that i was most pleased with was when he pointed it towards a small group of stars. I had always imagined that the stars wouldnt look too different because of how far away they are. Again i was totally impressed with what i could see. They were so bright, asif some one was holding a piece of black paper infront of a light and pricked a pin through. I could even see stars clearly that i was struggling to see with the unaided eye.

We were out there for hours and the whole experience left me speechless! :icon_rolleyes:

I cant wait to get my own set up and start exploring.

First a very warm welcome to SGL.

Great stuff Garth, It is always special and as with most things the first is extra special. I don't think there is a member here who has not felt the same emotion you experienced last night. It sounds like the bug has bit, your now descending into a world of stella wonders, jewels and fantastic sights. If you get a chance get a look at Saturn, that will also blow you away (if you don't just stand there looking with your jaw dropped going wowwww I will be amazed) as will some of the cluster groups et al. There is so much to see and each offers something special. Expect to get that same feeling every time you see something new :icon_rolleyes:. When you take into account just how far that light has travelled to reach your eyes, you suddenly realise you are looking back in time.

Well done to you Garth, the first night is always the best as there is an array of stuff you want to see. You mentioned the moon last night which was a full moon, if you can, have a look at the moon again but either when it is a quarter of a half, the detail along the dark to light areas are superb.

In the meantime, why dont you get a couple of books, maybe even the internet and read up, keep the bug going. If you have a pair of binoculars carry on looking with them until you get a scope.

Also, from the net, look for starmaps, look at the consellations and make yourself familier with a few. Then like me, sit back and wait for winter:) when the crisp skys have even more wonders to throw at you and with a lot more time as it gets dark faster. ATB Terry.

i wasnt sure where to post this.

The part that i was most pleased with was when he pointed it towards a small group of stars. I had always imagined that the stars wouldnt look too different because of how far away they are. Again i was totally impressed with what i could see. They were so bright, asif some one was holding a piece of black paper infront of a light and pricked a pin through. I could even see stars clearly that i was struggling to see with the unaided eye.

I felt the same way when I first pointed my scope at what looked like a very small group of stars (to the unaided eye) and was amazed at the view. they looked just like jewels in the sky. I later found out that they were part of an open cluster called the pleiades (M45)

Hi from me too - great to hear you got such good views. I always find it amazing looking up there myself and some stuff never loses the thrill though the first time is always a bit special and it great to hear about other peoples experiences.

Anyway welcome :icon_rolleyes::);)

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I've been doing this for quite a few years and even now I get a special buzz everytime I observe.

Great first light and I hope there's many more to come.

Hi Garth,

To echo the others here, first of all a hearty welcome to SGL! I've only been in this hobby 6 months and the guys and girls here have been instrumental in getting me started right; sometimes directly, sometimes in my reading the help they've given other beginners - it's a cracking community here.

That first view through a telescope for me will last forever. I was lucky enough to be doing it with my wife and kids along, and it was a night filled with wonder and amazement for all. I now try and get as many people around the telescope on a night as I can who've never looked through one before, and freely admit that I get a huge kick out of the oohs and aahs as people realise how much more there is “up there” than they thought.

Again - welcome to the forum, and welcome to the night sky!

Nick

Hi Garth Welcome to SGL - and a great account of your first dip into astronomy. You sound like you're going to be saying "wow" an awful lot and I sincerely hope the magic of all those jewels in the sky stays with you for an awful long time.

Wait until you see Albireo in a decent scope, or the Pleiades on a frosty cold night.

There is (literally) nothing on earth that compares to that feeling.

Happy hunting

I know most of you might think it is nothing special but it took my breath away.

I'm sure that all of us totally understand where you're coming from! I know I'll never forget my first views just a few short months back :) I'm hooked for life I think...

Welcome to SGL, Garth! I'm about 6 months in to this amazing hobby and the moon is still just as fascinating to me if not more. A few nights back I got the best views I've had of the moon yet and I almost felt like I was skimming over the moon's surface.

Good luck with your exploring!

Cheers,

Luke

Hi Garth' you never forget the first time looking at the stars' moon' or planets.I started with astronomy 36 years ago when i saw the moon for the first time with a pair of 10x50s binoculars.Hope you have plenty of clear nights so you can get out with your scope.Mark

I can only echo what's been said... first time through a scope will stay with me forever too. Moon, Saturn, first DSO... you never forget your first times. Great thing is, the sky is always changing so you always get a break from seeing certain objects at some point and after the wait you are pleasantly surprised again next year :-).

Welcome to SGL, there's no other community like the astro community

Matt

... I know most of you might think it is nothing special but it took my breath away.

It might diminish a little over time but there is always something special about observing an object so vast and spectacular first-hand.

Welcome aboard :cool:

Archived