Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why is the moon fading in and out?

Bad video quality since it was filmed on my Iphone. Both were filmed less than an hour ago. I am in Surf City North Carolina and the moon was 268* W on my compass. I tried researching this phenomena but found no results. I believe that its rays of radiation messing with our vision of the moon, any ideas?

Clouds ?

Smoke from forest fires ?

Or the Borg Hiveship eclipsed the Moon............ 😆

But looking more closely, I believe the moon is being seen through the foliage of a tree. 

Michael

• Haha 1

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. It can’t be a tree simply due to there not being one. But I thought for sure that the moon would still give off moonlight if there was clouds in front of it. There weren’t any thunderstorms at the time either. Thank you for your inputs.

IMG_2364.jpeg

If the OP would care to upload the original video to YT so that it could be viewed without needing it to be downloaded then he might get a more favourable response ... ?

I cannot imagine anyone actually downloading a file of any description from a brand new anonymous 'member' in this day and age ... 😂

But I strongly suspect we'll hear no more from them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

If the OP would care to upload the original video to YT so that it could be viewed without needing it to be downloaded then he might get a more favourable response ... ?

I cannot imagine anyone actually downloading a file of any description from a brand new anonymous 'member' in this day and age ... 😂

But I strongly suspect we'll hear no more from them.

I actually didn’t think of YouTube, I’ll upload it and link it here

• Thanks 1

Bands of high cloud can do that as they move through.  They might not be obvious to an observer at night unlike lower altitude, "puffy" clouds.  A good weather satellite app can show you what's in your area.

Antares "vanished" from my scope early this morning and then "came back".   But I suppose it could have been The Borg.  🤫

• Thanks 1

As promised, I made my sightings into a youtube video. Quick edits and the works. I also used some of the leftover footage from May 10th to see if it changes any opinions

The image quality of the video is extremely poor. However, when I run it through my image processing software there's enough there to identify a cloud moving across the image.

Image1_DxO.thumb.jpg.6b616672592f6bd22965c62965e1543c.jpg

Image2_DxO.thumb.jpg.b66411a763d1b3ee1fe14e42749e6a7f.jpg

Nothing unusual or mysterious about it at all.

As the question has been answered I'm closing the thread.

• Like 2