Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky Way Tenerife Island

Tenerife has fantastic skies when you get up there in the caldera at the base of Mount Teide. There is an older and lower summit called Roques Cinchado and Garcia which is popular with tourists but at night no one is around!!

I took this panoramic shot of the Milky Way showing this feature in the centre of the image and Mount Teide to the left. Myself included at the right corner!

The foreground was focus stacked with a Sigma 50mm at f/1.6 ISO1600 60secs.

The sky was tracked with a Samyang 24mm lens and Star Adventurer 2i and Canon6D.

ISO1600 f/3.2 60secs.

Hope you like!

Tenerife Milky Way:

03C30900-A464-48EC-B9F2-EE1EA8C7FA5E.thumb.jpeg.82385a3bfe1ea2b11c3fa4feaf59cd2d.jpeg

• Like 34

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

That’s super, Geraint - lovely editing and a nice composition. Really envious of those dark (and clear!) skies!!!

Thanks Paul, l like how the light of Santa Cruz lights up the central rock pillars of the old summit. Even high up on Tenerife there’s always some light pollution but this time it proved useful to me! 😂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, scotty1 said:

Brilliant pano

What are the cluster of stars/nebula to the right of the prancing horse? 

Thanks! I think you refer to the Rho Opiuchi Molecular Cloud Complex. A beautiful area of nebulosity and star cluster which is part of the constellation Scorpius with the bright yellow star Antares being dominant here.  I did a close up of this area with a Samyang 135mm that I put in the deep sky imaging forum.

• Thanks 1

Nice image! Lovely area, I have been there at night and it is a terrific view. Climbed half way up Mt Tiede to around 3000m but started getting out of breath :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 900SL said:

Nice image! Lovely area, I have been there at night and it is a terrific view. Climbed half way up Mt Tiede to around 3000m but started getting out of breath :) 

Yes - I didn’t fancy altitude sickness with my kit on my back!! 😂👍

That’s a great image love it, I’m going back there in July for 10days and going to spend a night in the Parador De Las Canadas hotel, we spent a night there in 2015 and you are right when all the visitors have gone and all the lights in the cafe/souvenir shop are turned off it’s very dark I’ve never seen so many stars. Last time we were there the hotel had a 8” dob that they let me take out to the car park I got some amazing views of Jupiter 

I’m going to take my camera with me this time see if I can do some Widefield photography it’ll be a first for me as not done any before but just got a 14mm Samyang lens so will give it a try if I can work out all the settings for doing it 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robbie c said:

That’s a great image love it, I’m going back there in July for 10days and going to spend a night in the Parador De Las Canadas hotel, we spent a night there in 2015 and you are right when all the visitors have gone and all the lights in the cafe/souvenir shop are turned off it’s very dark I’ve never seen so many stars. Last time we were there the hotel had a 8” dob that they let me take out to the car park I got some amazing views of Jupiter 

I’m going to take my camera with me this time see if I can do some Widefield photography it’ll be a first for me as not done any before but just got a 14mm Samyang lens so will give it a try if I can work out all the settings for doing it 😂

Thanks for the kind comment. Tenerife is great for astro! The Milky Way core will be nice and high in July but a panorama maybe difficult to do then? Samyang a good choice.

Wish I was heading back there again soon!

Geraint.