SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Musical Mounts 🤪

Stu

I do my own head in sometimes, changing things around and selling things I then regret selling. I have lost count of how many Vixen EQ mounts I’ve had. I think two GPs, a GP2, two GP-DXs, two Sphinx’,  an SP and an Atlux! Craziness!

I think the one I enjoyed most was a GP which was beautifully fettled, with simple dual axis drives and I had it setup permanently in the garden. I used it alot for lunar and solar observing.

I do really enjoy the Skysensor 2000PC controllers; I re bought a DX with SS2k quite a while back but really haven’t used it much. Now that I have the AZ100 with motor kit, if I want Goto, I use that, so I’m now playing musical mounts again!

Current EQ mounts:

GP2 with single axis drive

GP-DX with SS2K

I guess I’m trying to get back to a simple dual axis driven Vixen GP, so this is the crazy process I’m going through…..

I have just bought and received a lovely GP in excellent condition. 

I’ve sold and delivered my GP-DX with SS2k.

I have bought a black SP with green Vixen MT1 motors and DD-1 controller.

I have now put the motors from the SP on my GP and also fitted the ADM saddle upgrade, with a 1.25” saddle to avoid marring my dovetails, and so I get back to a dual axis driven, lightweight EQ for the FC100/FL102S.

I will then sell the SP without motors and the GP2 and be back to one EQ mount which will hopefully get a decent amount of use.

Someone please make the madness stop now!! 🤪🤪

IMG_7007.jpeg

IMG_7012.jpeg

IMG_7011.jpeg

IMG_7009.jpeg

IMG_7010.jpeg

IMG_7013.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

There are several mounts that I have owned in the past, let go, and now wish that I still had. The Vixen GP is one of those 😬

I had a black one, as made for Celestron by Vixen. I'm not a huge fan of EQ mounts but the GP just does it "right" for a 4 inch frac:

takvixeq01.JPG.dd14d6fafbecda8cd3ed74c102b482bc.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

@Stu the whole point of musical chairs is that when the music stops, you remove a chair. Not add one!

Ah well young Jeremy, if you read the story correctly that’s exactly what happens!

Starting point:

GP-DX

GP2

Middle bit:

GP-DX

GP2

GP

SP

Now:

GP2

GP

SP

End goal:

GP

I’ll get there! 🤪🤪

• Haha 1

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with the original vixen encoders for the GP.  I am curious what count they are?  Could they be interfaced to a Nexus DSC?  "Push to"  GPD project ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2024 at 08:21, AL1 said:

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with the original vixen encoders for the GP.  I am curious what count they are?  Could they be interfaced to a Nexus DSC?  "Push to"  GPD project ...

I hadn’t heard of those before, interesting to hear if anyone has used them. A quick google shows a few Cloudy Night threads on them.

When I read the title I assumed you had got bored with the clouds and programmed a slewing sequence into your mount so it played a tune.

I was so looking forward to watching and listening to the video…

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, tomato said:

When I read the title I assumed you had got bored with the clouds and programmed a slewing sequence into your mount so it played a tune.

I was so looking forward to watching and listening to the video…

It’s about all they are good for at the moment!

• Haha 1