Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIair update V2.1.2-11.01

Anyone updated yet? How is it performing. 

I noticed this update flagged in my iPad but haven’t yet pressed the button to install.  I am wary of doing so after the recent updates. Hopefully they’ve improved things, but once bitten twice shy and all that. 

A few of the updates like fuzzy search and new LDN catalogue will be good. Much of the rest looks like support for additional cameras.  I've just turned my app on and there's no message to update the firmware. How do you do it?  There is a rest firmware function back that only rolls it back to either factory  or previous settings far as I can see.  If I can find up how to update I'll give it a go. :) 

Edited - just checked the forum - some users reporting usb port failures after update! 

Jim 

Edited by saac

8 hours ago, saac said:

A few of the updates like fuzzy search and new LDN catalogue will be good. Much of the rest looks like support for additional cameras.  I've just turned my app on and there's no message to update the firmware. How do you do it?  There is a rest firmware function back that only rolls it back to either factory  or previous settings far as I can see.  If I can find up how to update I'll give it a go. :) 

Edited - just checked the forum - some users reporting usb port failures after update! 

Jim 

Mmmm. I’ll look into that.  I don’t know what you’re running ASIair app on but on the iPad the App Store lets you know when apps need updating. 

• Like 1

I see what you mean about people reporting USB port failures. 

I think I’ll give it a miss for the moment particularly because I recently  installed a ZWO EAF to my ASKAR. I’ll wait until I’ve tested that in use before updating the software.  

29 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Mmmm. I’ll look into that.  I don’t know what you’re running ASIair app on but on the iPad the App Store lets you know when apps need updating. 

Thank. I have the app running on my iPhone and iPad, but mainly use my laptop vi bluestacks. None are flagging up a new update available. I think it's possible to disable auto updates and I wonder if that is what I have done. I can download the latest version from the App Store then. 

Jim 

2 minutes ago, saac said:

Thank. I have the app running on my iPhone and iPad, but mainly use my laptop vi bluestacks. None are flagging up a new update available. I think it's possible to disable auto updates and I wonder if that is what I have done. I can download the latest version from the App Store then. 

Jim 

Interesting. I don’t allow my iPad to update automatically, but the App Store app flags up the number of apps needing updating.  I find I have to do this every few days.

IMG_1919.jpeg.513c32b9f2635a6cc8361a9caee3b46e.jpeg

Instead of downloading the update, download the app directly from zwos website. At least this way you can kind of control your rollbacks in case you get issues, because currently once an update comes out, zwo remove that prior version for download.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I am on Android, and having rolled back the software to the last properly working version I have turned off auto-updating. I did this by opening Play Store, searching for the App (ASIAir), clicking on the 3 dots at the top right of the page, and unchecking auto-updating. It does seem that since v1.9, all versions have 'issues'. Apple products may work differently of course.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Elp said:

Instead of downloading the update, download the app directly from zwos website. At least this way you can kind of control your rollbacks in case you get issues, because currently once an update comes out, zwo remove that prior version for download.

Sounds good but I think Apple don’t allow an app to be downloaded to an iPad or iPhone except from the Apple App Store. 

32 minutes ago, Elp said:

There is a roll back firmware option. Not really needed to use it yet, touch wood.

Jim 

IMG_2875.jpg

Edited by saac

35 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

I am on Android, and having rolled back the software to the last properly working version I have turned off auto-updating. I did this by opening Play Store, searching for the App (ASIAir), clicking on the 3 dots at the top right of the page, and unchecking auto-updating. It does seem that since v1.9, all versions have 'issues'. Apple products may work differently of course.

Ian

Yep I think I have managed to turn off auto update and forgot about it. I vaguely remember manually downloading my current version of the app V2.1 10.74. I need to start writing these things down lol. 

Jim 

I disabled automatic update for ASIAIR on Google Play App. I have the 2.1 10.47 version  right now.Most of the updates mentioned in the new version don't apply to me. I have the ASIAIR PRO & am seriously considering getting one of the plus versions as I am weary of the OS being on an SD card that could crap out at any time. Like the idea of rolling back the firmware on the Plus if in trouble with the press of a button.

13 minutes ago, Glenbo said:

Like the idea of rolling back the firmware on the Plus if in trouble with the press of a button.

As mentioned in your other thread rolling back the firmware on the air is useless unless you also have an older version of the app because the latest firmware is contained within the app version at the time. If you roll back the firmware on the air but continue to use the same latest app version, once you connect to the air you'll be forced to update the firmware, there is no opt out option (opt out option is only for updating the app when you start it). This is why I recommend people to download the app containers/installers independently from any app store, you can keep them safely stored on a computer somewhere and refer to them if you ever need an earlier app version which doesn't contain a firmware update. It is why I continue to use v1.9 beta of the app to control all my airs so they don't update.

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

As mentioned in your other thread rolling back the firmware on the air is useless unless you also have an older version of the app because the latest firmware is contained within the app version at the time. If you roll back the firmware on the air but continue to use the same latest app version, once you connect to the air you'll be forced to update the firmware, there is no opt out option (opt out option is only for updating the app when you start it). This is why I recommend people to download the app containers/installers independently from any app store, you can keep them safely stored on a computer somewhere and refer to them if you ever need an earlier app version which doesn't contain a firmware update. It is why I continue to use v1.9 beta of the app to control all my airs so they don't update.

Yup your are right on that, I have APK files now from ZWO for V1.9 & V2.1 . Problem is I cant roll back my firmware as something must have malfunctioned or else I just didn't do it right when I copied the SD card 3 years ago. With the Plus I would no longer need to worry about that. Funny I uninstalled my Google Play app version & downloaded directly from ZWO but was still prompted to update until I disabled it from Google Play.