Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Expected recurring Nova T CrB

Sorry if this has already been posted up else where, I haven't seen it but then my visits have been less frequent than they used to be.

Is T CrB About to Blow its Top? - Sky & Telescope - Sky & Telescope (skyandtelescope.org)

A decent source for this so thought it worth reporting on. Very easy to find in just a degree below epsilon Crb in Corona Borealis but type in T Crb into stellarium will highlight where it is, also available under same search in Sky Safari 7.

A quick overview is this went Nova almost 80 years since, previously it went nova in the late 1800's and has recently brightened nearly a full magnitude plus has started shining with a more bluish tinge indicating it is heating up, so if you get a clear sky worth a quick shufty.

Once it blows it will shine at c+2 magnitude for around a week before fading rapidly.  Unless it has gained the magic 1.4 solar masses in which case it will be far more dramatic. Whichever it will make a dazzling object to observe and will be a fantastic spectroscopy imaging object. 

Steve

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The most favoured prediction is by Prof Brad Schaefer which is February to August this year. But this assumes certain similarities to the last eruption in 1946. So noone actually knows.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bivanus said:

In a lighter tone 😄

Ah well when I was checking my data I did get some links coming up to shall we say, less reliable or  sources who are likely to be more of a cut and paste approach to researching, so I was pleased when I found the S&T details and being a more reliable source of data.

• Thanks 1

Just catching up on some reading this afternoon with the March edition of Sky & Telescope and this article caught my eye too - I came here to post it but I’m clearly on the back foot. 🥴

I try not to get too excited about transitory events in the “before” phase for obvious UK weather related reasons but this one appeals to me and I’ve just added it to a viewing list for my next session whenever that is. It really appeals to me to have a deliberate observation of the area and a sketch of the star field “now” before the nova reoccurs so that any observation and opportunity for a sketch during the event (if I should be so lucky) would be especially meaningful. 

How exciting!

Edited by josefk
  • Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 20:33, JeremyS said:

Yes, the eruption of T CrB is anticipated sometime this year. Many predict in the next few months. But exactly when is not known, so keep a lookout.

Here’s something I wrote about it: https://britastro.org/section_news_item/get-set-for-the-next-eruption-of-the-recurrent-nova-t-coronae-borealis

How cool, that adds something very interesting over the S&T article @JeremyS - it would be fascinating to catch sight of the flickering visually before the main brightening. 😎

Edited by josefk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, josefk said:

How cool, that adds something very interesting over the S&T article @JeremyS - it would be fascinating to catch sight of the flickering visually before the main brightening. 😎

It would mean clear skies from now til possibly 2026 (although it is likely to be sooner if what I read is correct)  and you being glued to the eyepiece at every waking (and dark) minute. So nice thought but  highly unlikely. 

I do share your enthusiasm for this event though, will be very interesting.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

It would mean clear skies from now til possibly 2026 (although it is likely to be sooner if what I read is correct)  and you being glued to the eyepiece at every waking (and dark) minute. So nice thought but  highly unlikely. 

I do share your enthusiasm for this event though, will be very interesting.

And it will need a late night for a while too - I had a first go last night and realised it’s basically on my horizon before midnight and checking this morning it will be very low in the first half of the night for a few weeks yet. 

• Like 2