NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASKAR 103 TRIPLET APO - BINOVIEWING AND TRAVEL READY.

I've had my Askar since last year. As some folks will know, it has a four inch section of tube which can be unscrewed.  This is to facilitate inserting reducers and field flatteners for astrophotography.  Its also for using binoviwers without having to use barlows  or other means to bring them to focus.

I'd never done this until this afternoon, as I didn't think it a good idea to have to take out a section of tube and reassemble it outside in the dark if I wished to use it with and without a binoviwer during the same session. Anyway, up to now I had only used my binoviewer for planetary and lunar observing.

It hadn't dawned on me before today, that this problem could be solved by taking out the section of tube permanently and just bring it back into monovision by just using a couple of two inch extention tubes after I have finished binoviwewing!  

I removed the tube section, and, of course, it all worked very well.. A shame it took so long for the penny to drop 😂.

Another advantage in removing the tube section is that with a two inch prism on board it is now only 21 inches long with the dew shield retracted.  If necessary for travel purposes the focuser could also be removed and this would reduce the length to a mere 15 inches long.

Can't wait now to get some low power binoviewing time 🙂.

Sorry I'm in one of the pics, my wife refused to be the model!

20240311_175321.thumb.jpg.3dc919d41ca70923afd5252e5a2b3c71.jpg

20240311_174401.thumb.jpg.dd60fb2d9d90df1c407454d761205e6e.jpg

• Like 13

My like was for the second picture 🤣

Looks like a really well though out scope Paul, great optics and flexibility too. Out of interest, how much does it weigh, with rings?

Planning any trips abroad? Could be good!!👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

I've had my Askar since last year. As some folks will know, it has a four inch section of tube which can be unscrewed.  This is to facilitate inserting reducers and field flatteners for astrophotography.  Its also for using binoviwers without having to use barlows  or other means to bring them to focus.

I'd never done this until this afternoon, as I didn't think it a good idea to have to take out a section of tube and reassemble it outside in the dark if I wished to use it with and without a binoviwer during the same session. Anyway, up to now I had only used my binoviewer for planetary and lunar observing.

It hadn't dawned on me before today, that this problem could be solved by taking out the section of tube permanently and just bring it back into monovision by just using a couple of two inch extention tubes after I have finished binoviwewing!  

I removed the tube section, and, of course, it all worked very well.. A shame it took so long for the penny to drop 😂.

Another advantage in removing the tube section is that with a two inch prism on board it is now only 21 inches long with the dew shield retracted.  If necessary for travel purposes the focuser could also be removed and this would reduce the length to a mere 15 inches long.

Can't wait now to get some low power binoviewing time 🙂.

Sorry I'm in one of the pics, my wife refused to be the model!

20240311_175321.thumb.jpg.3dc919d41ca70923afd5252e5a2b3c71.jpg

20240311_174401.thumb.jpg.dd60fb2d9d90df1c407454d761205e6e.jpg

Lovely pic's Paul. When I scrolled down and saw the picture of your insane good looks, I at first thought it was Dickie Mint running off with your telescope. 

My like was for the second pic.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

My like was for the second picture 🤣

Looks like a really well though out scope Paul, great optics and flexibility too. Out of interest, how much does it weigh, with rings?

Planning any trips abroad? Could be good!!👍 

According to the spec it's 5.5Kg Stu.  Sounds about right, before I read the spec I thought it was 12.6lbs.

I've been thinking of a trip abroad sometime, but health wise following a heart procedure in Dec I'd have to talk to the medics. 😊. And get a new passport 😀.

• Like 1

Very nice Paul. That’s another great option for airline travel cabin baggage. Looking at the promotional literature for these scopes, it’s clear the whole package has been very well thought out.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree with you Mark.  I particularly like the two finder feet and being able to attach other items on the handle and dovetail.  Its very compatable with adapting it to Starsense use which is one of the reasons that attracted me to it.  There are many other features I could mention, and not only the price!  😊.

• Like 1

I believe the correct procedure is for "the model" to stare lovingly at The Precious.
Staring at the camera makes me think of a kidnap victim holding up a Help Me! placard.
Do all amateur astronomers have the same appearance? Except for the ladies of course.
Then why do I suddenly feel like a clone! 🥸

• Haha 1

I feel robbed that he used a ruler for scale rather than a tin of beans.  Or is that just eyepeices?

I thought about getting one of those, but went for a 102 ED.  Thank God.  My bank balance is suffering enough without a scope that is optimised for binoviewing.  And believe me, I've been ogling the binoviewers with both eyes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So how does it perform visually with the binoviewers Paul ?

Assuming it can focus natively minus the tube extension........but do you then have sufficient 'out' focus travel if you want to crank the power up a bit ?

Or do you have to refit the extension again for that ?

Just wondering, as I use a Baader bino, and you need a focusing range of 65-70 mm to view natively at one end and then using a 2.6x multiplier (gpc) at the other.

I can comfortably do that with my own scope, and there's not that many refractors that will allow this as a rule of thumb, usually something imaging optimised with a lot of in focus.......

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

So how does it perform visually with the binoviewers Paul ?

Assuming it can focus natively minus the tube extension........but do you then have sufficient 'out' focus travel if you want to crank the power up a bit ?

Or do you have to refit the extension again for that ?

Just wondering, as I use a Baader bino, and you need a focusing range of 65-70 mm to view natively at one end and then using a 2.6x multiplier (gpc) at the other.

I can comfortably do that with my own scope, and there's not that many refractors that will allow this as a rule of thumb, usually something imaging optimised with a lot of in focus.......

Space Hopper.

My binoviewer is a Baader Maxbright v1 and I was using x2 24mm Orthos. At infinity the graduated tube was at 40mm, leaving 60mm infocus left and 40mm out focus left.  I was using a T2 Baader/Zeiss BBHS Prism with a 2inch Baader clicklock at the eyepiece end and a 2 inch nosepiece at the scope end.

I've mentioned all this because of course it will be different if any of these are different in your setup.   

If you mean you want to put the power up you can just use shorter focal length eyepieces or your multiplier.  I've not used a multiplier and don't know it's affect on the focus position,   it may not have any?

I really don't think you'd have any problems, after all the graduated focus gives you 100mm to play with, and there are many other ways you can change the focus point - eg the light path through various diagonals and prisms.

Remember also, there is 100mm extra infocus as the 4inch section of tube has been removed.  I  can't imagine many other refractors being so binocular friendly.

I hope this is of some use, but feel free if there is anything else I can do to help.  You probably know most if not all of what I've said as you already use a binoviewer, you may know a lot more - in which case I apologise.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're welcome.  I think you get a great deal for your money, and FLO have knocked the price down from £999 to £949? But I guess you know this 😊.

It's not likely, but if you live within a reasonable distance of BD22 I'd be happy for you to pop along with your binoviewing gear to actually try it out if you're considering buying one.  It's always so much a gamble buying something if you haven't had the chance to try it out.

• Thanks 1

There does seem to be a trend now of scopes being optimised for binoviewing, with removable sections.  Either that or I'm noticing them because I'm interested in binoviewing.

Must say, this one went under the radar till you posted.

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

There does seem to be a trend now of scopes being optimised for binoviewing, with removable sections.  Either that or I'm noticing them because I'm interested in binoviewing.

Must say, this one went under the radar till you posted.

To be fair, TS have been doing it for a while but it’s good to see these sorts of features in other vendors products. I know it adds a bit to the cost, but removeable sections solve so many problems and are a benefit for travel too, so I wish more scopes had them.

Yes , the various incarnations of the 102ed 1122mm f11 refractor sold by TS , Altair etc, etc   all  have the bino viewer removable section and also the new Atair 101mm Planeta which now sports fpl53 glass. 

Not sure though about the Blue colour even though it does look quite fetching, also has a new much dearer price tag to go along with it as well. 

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 1