Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

24/2/24 What did I see ?

Well I’ve been mulling over this for some days . I’ve trawled through some complex papers on umbrae .

There were exceptional seeing conditions and at x100 the view was perfection .that allowed me to sit and draw . The fine umbrella filaments were like a set of eyelashes , which I’ve never seen standing alone .

I can only assume that magnetic fields have caused linear cooler lines . Quite magical .

Any thoughts ? Nick.IMG_4134.thumb.jpeg.5caeb98b99f67fa3f0ac3c3e15d40075.jpegIMG_4135.thumb.jpeg.fb5a349220a22a697ee030ce74c61832.jpeg

• Like 5

Excellent drawing. There were plenty of C and m class flares recorded for that AR region on that date and time so perhaps the filaments and brightness were associated with flaring?

• Like 1

Could be , from what I gather , flares show as white on Ha.
Just reminded me of iron filing lines produced by a magnet !

clear skies ! Nick

Lovely sketches Nick, not seen anything like that before. Might have a trawl through my solar book and see if they are mentioned.

BTW I miss Cotterless45 😉

• Thanks 1

They are penumbral filaments Nick , they were very noticable in this lovely large sunspot especially in those fleeting moments of good seeing.

They always remind me of the iris in the eye when they're resolved .

I missed getting close-ups on the 24th but grabbed a few moments of video on the day before and pulled this image from the better one.

closeups.thumb.png.0bf82a48ca8b58462a3318397eb0d7e0.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

They are penumbral filaments Nick , they were very noticable in this lovely large sunspot especially in those fleeting moments of good seeing.

They always remind me of the iris in the eye when they're resolved .

I missed getting close-ups on the 24th but grabbed a few moments of video on the day before and pulled this image from the better one.

closeups.thumb.png.0bf82a48ca8b58462a3318397eb0d7e0.png

I assumed it was these features Nick was talking about Steve, although I may have misunderstood. I’ve not seen these filaments separated from the umbra like that before.

IMG_6457.jpeg

• Like 1

I haven't got a close up view resembling what I was seeing through the eyepiece, just this snap through the 120mm. The actual view was a lot more detailed. Same day - 24/02/24.

Spots4.jpg.4578dcbca7cf69d5cfebcc47ac523100.jpg